Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 08:00 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,974 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd gotten rid of this nightmare weed late last fall using a Spectracide product, but it's back with a vengeance. Scott's Weed & Feed has been a waste of money (both weeding AND feeding), and dollar weed thinks Round-Up is fertilizer! A friend used to contract with Tru-Green or one of the lawn services, but they couldn't kill the stuff.

I've xeriscaped as much as possible and know I'll always be pulling it out of pebbles & mulch!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 10:39 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
Only stuff that I know that kills it and seems to control it is the liquid Spectrocide. (its the one you hook to your hose and spray on). I use it about twice a year (spring and fall) to beat back the dollar weed, creeping charlie & thistle that always seems to be trying to take over my lawn

Old 03-15-2010, 07:12 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
Dollar weed taking over a Florida lawn is usually a sign of overwatering. Do you have a sprinkler system? Do you know which kind of grass you have? The following link is to a University of Florida publication which indicates which herbicide to use to kill dollarweed with which type of grass.

ENH1128/EP389: Pennywort (Dollarweed) Biology and Management in Turf

Old 03-16-2010, 09:16 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,974 times
I have St. Augustine & do not have a sprinkler system. I depend on rainfall, exclusively.

I had forgotten about the UF Ag center; thanks for the link!

The Spectracide is the same one I used last fall and it did work better than anything else, but I'm not sure I can use it again this soon.

Thanks!

Old 03-16-2010, 09:47 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
I have St. Augustine & do not have a sprinkler system. I depend on rainfall, exclusively.

I had forgotten about the UF Ag center; thanks for the link!

The Spectracide is the same one I used last fall and it did work better than anything else, but I'm not sure I can use it again this soon.

Thanks!
I think you should be ok using it now if you haven't used it since the fall. I wouldn't wait too long. It seems to work better for me if I use it before the heat of the summer hits.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:40 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
Something else you can do since you have St. Augustine is put in some fresh Augustine plugs when the rains start to help the grass outcompete the dollar weed. I think St. Augustine is more prone to dollarweed because of the way the lawn creates a thick sheaf which retains moisture. Aeration and/or dethatching might be worth a try.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 15,332 times
I live in NE FLA and I also have a problem with dollar weeds. The weed and feed is inadequate. Is it too late to spray a weed killer on it such as a spectracide. I also have atrazine- which would be best to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden