Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:30 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,374,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
i've had luck just digging them up.

My youngest son actually found some growing in a field not far from our yard, brought them home and planted them. They've been moved a few times, and never regrew from the original position.

Since i have a huge crop of chives now, i'm digging them up for good. I dont like onions, but i'd use the tops.
I tried digging them up, but they seem to be multiplying overnite. There must be 50 or more of them now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
When milk cows get into them I've heard the milk is ruined. I had them in MO and never did anything to them but mow over. Soon as it started warming up they were gone.
So your saying just mow them down and evemtually the heat will kill them....I like that plan

If it will work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 05:31 PM

213 posts, read 769,856 times
Yeah, we've got the same lawn It is extremely ugly right now, no green grass, and the giant onions sticking up. Today I got the riding mower out (back yard is over an acre so too much to pull them out by hand and we have dogs so no chemicals) and put the blade low and cut the whole thing - looks much nicer! Now only the front yard looks terrible.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:36 AM

4 posts, read 2,400 times
yiks ! Please avoid chemicals. A more natural way is better in the long run, that's me.
If I had onions popping up in my yards I would be scooping up those darlings like crazy to put with my other house onions until summer.
I live in Alaska, so not much spring as you know it here.
Those little onions are a gift.
It means that they if wild either have been there all along just waiting for their opportunity to come up or one of your neighbors onions went to seed and they took a ride on the wind.
If this is really new to your yard and and they are natural there something has changed in your soil to allow for them. I would do the total health check of your soil if that is true: PH, and such. Maybe too much previous round up ? Chemical build up in the soil and change it. They also last a long time. I am thinking the soil has become less friendly to your grass than any natural dormate hearty plants : onions. But check they possibility of a neighborhood air invation for sure.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:33 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
Yikes, please avoid advice from histrionic people.

More than likely, your Bermuda grass lawn has wild onions, not something so esoteric as Egyptian Walking Onions. You can eat them, but since you'd rather not, we'll skip that.

harry provided excellent advice; I know many horticulturalists who use similar techniques. Nomadicus is correct that you don't want dairy cattle eating them, but that issue may not apply to your lawn.

Bermuda grass goes dormant (brown) during the winter, so you can safely apply RoundUp while the grass is dormant. However, Memphis is in USDA hardiness zone 7b (or 8a) and if your grass is like my Bermuda grass (zone 7b and just a couple of hours away from you) it is beginning to green up. If you're careful, you could try harry's advice. What I would (and am) doing is spraying with an herbicide like Scott's WeedBGon, which contains 2-4D. Since wild onions are a broadleaf weed (even though they don't seem like it), the spray will kill them.

For control of weeds (and crabgrass and poa annua), I recommend applying a preemergent when the soil reaches about 55F to 60F. Apply preemergent again in the fall. You may need to spot treat with 2-4D during the year, but for the most part your weeds will be under control. Once preemergent is applied, don't pull weeds.

As always, use chemicals responsibly and read the label.

If you want to try to get rid of the onions without chemicals, you could try digging them up. Do not shake the soil off the bulbs into the hole and do not compost the onions - throw them away.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:50 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,096,552 times
2,4-D or any auxinic herbicide will eliminate them without hurting the bermuda. It is actually wild garlic, and there are little bulbs in the ground so timing is important. Ask your ag advisor.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:11 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
It could be wild garlic. I usually get both and the treatment is the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden