Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:56 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,660,682 times

Advertisements

Is this the right time to plant your potatoes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 11:07 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,012,965 times
Plan on planting mine then. Would've planted a little sooner but been a little wet here. This weeks' weather looks like it will be a little drier then so would make plowing ground some easier.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:35 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times
Not in Vermont.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Plan on planting mine then. Would've planted a little sooner but been a little wet here. This weeks' weather looks like it will be a little drier then so would make plowing ground some easier.
I have always heard this....thanks!!

Old 03-29-2010, 03:53 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,574,375 times
I always planted mine in MO as soon as the ground could be worked. I've had is snow on them without damage. As long as it was not a bitter freeze all was well.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:02 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,155,082 times
Farmers' Almanac Gardening Calendar

Quote:
March 2010
30th-31st. Favorable Days For Planting Root, Fine For Sowing Hay, Fodder Crops, And Grains. Plant Flowers.

April 2010
1st-3rd. Good Days For Planting Beets, Carrots, Radishes, Turnips, Peanuts, And Other Root Crops. Also Good For Cabbage, Cauliflower, Lettuce, Kale, Celery, And Other Leafy Vegetables. Start Seedbeds. 4th-5th. Barren Days. Do No Planting. 6th-8th. Favorable Days For Planting Beets, Carrots, Turnips, Radishes, Onions, And Other Root Crops. 9th-10th. Excellent Time To Kill Weeds, Briars, Poison Ivy, And Other Plant Pests. 11th-13th. Favorable Days For Planting Root Crops, Extra Good For Vine Crops. Set Strawberry
Plants. 14th-15th. Poor Planting Days. Break Ground Or Cultivate. 16th-17th. Favorable For Planting Beans, Corn, Cotton, Tomatoes, Peppers, And Other Above Ground Crops. 18th-19th. Poor Days For Planting, Seeds Tend To Rot In Ground. 20th-21st. Plant Tomatoes, Beans, Peppers, Corn, Cotton, And Other Above Ground Crops On These Most Fruitful Days. Plant Seedbeds. Start Flower Gardens. 22nd-25th. Grub Out Weeds, Briars, And Other Plant Pests. 26th-28th. First Two Days Good For Planting Corn, Melons, Squash, Tomatoes, And Other Above Ground Crops. Last Day Favorable For Planting Root Crops. All Days Favorable For Sowing Grains, Hay And Fodder Crops, And For Planting Flowers 29th-30th. Good Days For Planting Beets, Carrots, Radishes, Turnips, Peanuts, And Other Root Crops. Also Good For Cabbage, Cauliflower, Lettuce, Kale, Celery, And Other Leafy Vegetables. Start Seedbeds.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:46 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,038 times
Good Friday and planting potatoes

I am unfamiliar with the religious significance of planting potatos????? Please explain.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Good Friday and planting potatoes

I am unfamiliar with the religious significance of planting potatos????? Please explain.
LOL~ I don`t know if it has anything to do with the religious significance.
I have always heard this!

Old 03-30-2010, 08:45 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,155,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
LOL~ I don`t know if it has anything to do with the religious significance.
I have always heard this!
It's just something a lot of people do in the South. You also plant corn on Good Friday. Since Easter is based on the lunar calendar, it makes sense if you know about gardening with the moon signs. Easter falls on the first Sunday after the first full moon following the spring equinox. There's a 30-something day window on which Easter can fall. It just so happens this year, that Easter is early because of the moon phases.

The full moon is today, so Easter is Sunday. And since the two-four days following a full moon are often the most fertile for planting, it makes since that Good Friday is the day recognized as the best planting day of the spring for certain crops. It's really got nothing to do with the weather, and those in colder climates can't follow this rule.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:39 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
It's just something a lot of people do in the South. You also plant corn on Good Friday. Since Easter is based on the lunar calendar, it makes sense if you know about gardening with the moon signs. Easter falls on the first Sunday after the first full moon following the spring equinox. There's a 30-something day window on which Easter can fall. It just so happens this year, that Easter is early because of the moon phases.

The full moon is today, so Easter is Sunday. And since the two-four days following a full moon are often the most fertile for planting, it makes since that Good Friday is the day recognized as the best planting day of the spring for certain crops. It's really got nothing to do with the weather, and those in colder climates can't follow this rule.
That's interesting. Folk wisdom here has it that you shouldn't plant any delicate plants until after the last full moon in May, due to the risk of frost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden