Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:27 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times

Advertisements

You can buy Sevin7 Dust at Walmart, and it works great. I have container tomatoes, and don't have a bug problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,773 times
My beans have been healthy and productive up until now, August 8, and the leaves are looking rusty, dry up and fall off. I thought it might be a spider mite and dusted with Sevin, but now I wonder if it is safe to eat the beans. I dusted on Monday and need to pick on Thursday. The info on the label is long lost. Thanks for any help. Rosemarie in American Fork, Utah

Old 07-13-2013, 07:20 AM

5 posts, read 38,675 times
We made raised bed's last year and we mulched the plants with cedar mulch.That seemed to control the bug problem.But this year because of the rain, thing's were a little slow in the growth department. An because every pest wants to stay dry and out of the water, they climb into our raised bed's. Unwanted guests,what's one to do? I've tried the d.earth,did not appear to help,but we have had a lot of rain in NC. I tried it a second time,no real luck. We'll try one more time. We dusted and made a spray. Neither methods has worked effectively! The usual suspects have made a home in our garden. They include aphids,a bug that is yellow in color with little spines on it's body, an orange and black beetle, and stink bug's. It appears that one of these pests is eating holes in the leaves of most of my green bean plants. Just about all of my plants are showing sign's of holes and yellowing of the leaves. Just pulled out a row or two of squash and Zucchini, the bugs and the rain wiped them out. It may just have been their time to go? What about dipple dust or BT? Have the bag of dipple dust in my green house unopened, but after reading the back label I thought twice about putting it on my organic garden. Not real keen on using 7-dust either. Trying to stay true to my belief about what I put in my garden will end up in my families bodies too. We have read, where having a bird feeder in the garden will attract birds and take care of unwanted guests? Might give that a try? We have also tried the insect soap from time to time. We had so,so results. Don't laugh,but we took our shop vac out to the garden and sucked up quite a few of those critters?? Our grand kids had a great time,as long as you don't suck up your entire plant. Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated. Thanks you for your time. Southern Patriot.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:25 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert-Alan View Post

Attachment 63216

[click on thumbnail for larger picture]

it looks like a ladybug, but is tan or yellow (or in some areas, sometimes orange or red) colored and their larvae are tiny yellow creatures with black spines on them (these are also often seen on squash plants). A natural product which will stop this infestation in all stages is Pyola (made from chysanthemum flowers) and obtainable from GardensAlive at:
Pyola<sup>®</sup> Insect Spray
Thats exactly what I found in my lettuce bed. I lost all my Mesclun mix, but lucky the simpson and gorumet blend is still doing good.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Hi all, first-time gardener in San Diego here. I've got lettuce, arugula, squash, cucumbers, chard, radishes, carrots, green beans, and limas coming up (well, the lettuces and radishes I've been harvesting already) and the only thing in my garden that's getting munched on is my beans...

The leaves are being eaten by something, while nothing else is touched. I haven't *seen* anything in there crunching on my goodies, and I'm not sure how to approach this.. Any ideas?
sounds like maybe Japanese beetles. I usually do see them bit this year I have only seen one, yet the leaves are being eaten. Not as bad as some years, I will say that.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:37 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I prefer not to use chemicals on my garden if at all possible. One thing I do is get used coffee grounds from Starbucks. They are free and help fertizlize your plants and many bugs want nothing to do with them and stay away.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:53 AM

Hey,great advise and thanks for the quick response. Could you plant chrysanthemum plants and get the same results? Just came out of the garden with a basket of tomatoes,green beans and cukes. Just made a batch of Salsa and bread and butter sweet pickles. Think I'm enjoying being a farmer. Thanks SouthernPatriot1776

Old 07-28-2013, 09:53 PM

Default How safe in Sevin 7 dust

Is Sevin7 dust save to use in an organic garden. Trying to stay true to my belief of no chemicals in my garden. Thanks for any advise. SouthernPatriot1776

Old 10-18-2013, 07:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinpdx View Post
Thats exactly what I found in my lettuce bed. I lost all my Mesclun mix, but lucky the simpson and gorumet blend is still doing good.

Folks there are bugs that are your friend. Look it up. They're carnivores and will eat the bugs and aphids that harm your plants. Soldier bugs, Assasin bugs, LADYBUGS, Praying Mantis, wasps and bees, etc. The article is in this month's Farmer's Almanac. When I find those bugs, I PUT them on my plants. That's the most efficient and drug free deterant.

Now, with my bean plants, something cut the leaves off clean and let them lay on the ground for a few days. yesterday I went out and the leaves were completely gone. No trace of the leaves nor what took them

Old 10-18-2013, 12:21 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernpatriot1776 View Post
Is Sevin7 dust save to use in an organic garden. Trying to stay true to my belief of no chemicals in my garden. Thanks for any advise. SouthernPatriot1776
Carbaryl

I don't like to put anything on my food garden, but you be the judge.

I highly recommend that any home gardener watch the Back to Eden documentary. You may guffaw or recoil at first and you can take or leave the spiritual aspect, but I think I can guarantee that you will learn something and that it will help your gardening efforts.

Back to Eden Film - Watch Back to Eden Film Organic Gardening Documentary for Free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden