Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 09:47 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,137,228 times

Advertisements

I don't know what happened to the original poster? I also don't know what animals are in the San Diego area - but when you search online; they list deer/mule deer. Deer have a sweet tooth for beans. It is almost impossible to discourage them after they get their first taste. About the only cure is to put your garden in protective custody - fence it in.

Rabbits and groundhogs also love beans. I did not see any groundhogs listed for that area. I would be more than willing to send some out that way! I don't see why we should suffer alone back east!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 847 times
Reemay (spun polyester) can be used to cover the plants until they are mature and that will keep the rabbits from eating off the young leaves. I've had this problem every year and I know it's not slugs because the stems are chewed off and some are left on the ground with the leaves! As for slug control, used coffee grounds surrounding the plants (available for free at Starbucks) works 100%. I've been doing this for 2 years and have had slug-free lettuce crops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden