Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 05:35 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,529 times

Advertisements

Sure looks like it. We grew some in our yard once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 08:33 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,784,754 times
1coolcustomer, the cactus is beautiful. I didn't realize they would have so many blooms. Thanks for sharing!

NC Mom the morning glory color is pretty. Your figs bring back good memories of an old neighbor who grew a fig tree in her backyard. The mystery vine looks like pumpkin... let us know what starts blooming or forming!

Old 07-17-2010, 09:01 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
This Rudbeckia makes a nice addition to the garden. Not having the black center makes it quite different than the regular black eyes. If you double click to view the original pic size you can really see what a fine flower this is.
Attached Thumbnails
Whats blooming in your yards or gardens picture thread-picture.jpg  

Old 07-20-2010, 10:22 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,158,279 times
New stuff.

Blackberry Lily.

Planted this morning. Fireball Hardy Hibiscus.

Echinacea.

Rudbeckia fulgida - Goldstrum.

Coreopsis "Full Moon"

The backyard about two weeks ago. A little rain has helped.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:30 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Paperhouse, beautiful! Question to you or anyone else about the hardy hibiscus- I planted one late last spring and it looks just as healthy as can be, but I still don't have any blooms. Is it one of those things that may just wait until next summer to take off? I'm going to go and take quick a peek at it right now, but I don't think there is any indication that it's going to bloom. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Old 07-21-2010, 06:37 AM

They need a lot of water and regular feedings. Find a bloom booster fertilizer.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:41 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
They need a lot of water and regular feedings. Find a bloom booster fertilizer.
I'm watering a lot, I'll add more feedings. Thanks!

Old 07-21-2010, 01:30 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,784,754 times
Citydweller, the Rudbckia are quite pretty, the all yellow makes them interesting. I just picked up a Gallardia that is almost totally red that I couldn't resist (for the same reason I like the all yellow) because it's different! LOL I'll have to go take a picture in the next few days.

I was just beginning to wonder what had happened to you Paperhouse. I think you may have been busy working in your garden! The flowers are quite pretty. The hibiscus is incredible! Tell me about the lack of rain!
We've finally gotten some in the last week but it hasn't been nice long downpours that really water everything, more like quick teases and great for mushroom growing in this heat! Hopefully you are getting more!

The last picture made me a bit 'homesick' for my old garden, something I haven't felt in a little while. The trees with the meandering garden path of grass looks so inviting. The previous owner never got around to planting trees so our trees are still closer to sticks than shade makers. To think I used to complain about having too many trees! LOL

How long have you had the Blackberry Lily? I got one at a plant swap about 5 or 6 weeks ago but it was pretty tiny. It has grown quite bit and is putting out new leaves but no sign of any flowers yet. I was wondering it it needs a year in the ground before it flowers or is it just taking its time? I've got a Candy Lily from the same time, planted in another part of the garden that is not growing as fast, and figured maybe both won't bloom until next year.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:21 PM

The Blackberry lily was wintersown in 2008/9, either December or January. It sprouted last year, and I planted the whole container in a single spot. I missed other blooms in another part of the garden. I see the seed pods forming, so at least something found it. But this is the first year these have bloomed. I do think they need 2, sometimes 3 years to really take off. Most daylilies from seed are like that too. This one is actually related to the Iris, moreso than any of the lilies.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:29 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Hey all this is karla (just got a new screen name)
The pictures are wonderful
Thank you all for continuing to post them

I am in the middle of my latest landscape project which started as 2 pallets of sod being put down in the front yard (freeze damage from the winter) and has grown to an adventure
lol I decided it was time for a front of house redo
So far I have removed 6 big holly bushes (they were given to a friend for their yard) this bed will be expanded with new plantings
One of the elms is going to be removed and the huge holly tree trimmed up these were hiding the font of the house
It is taking a little longer than expected because my landscaper hurt his back
But thats ok because I haven't found the new plant material I want to add in the expanded bed
I will post some before and after pics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden