U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:39 PM

304 posts, read 816,466 times

Advertisements

We have a horrendous deer problem and cage nearly everything or it is raped by the deer. Our neighbor has a coyote call recording and that seems to help, but the other butthead neighbor turned him in. This year our coyote call neighbor bought about 30 pinwheels from the dollar store and put them all around his property, it looks tacky and I don't know if it will keep the deer out - but he seems to think so. We built a fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 06:48 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,326,876 times
I would plant foxglove plants between them...that might actually look nice mixed in.

I also second the Irish Spring sachets...our local zoo uses those to keep the deer out of the plants (I find it amusing to think of the deer roaming the zoo in the off hours, marveling at the caged animals...like some sort of Gary Larson Cartoon)

I did not have critters into my Mammoths until fall when I was happy to share...and it was squirrels/chipmunks, not birds. I liked the mammoths...I planted them to block my neighbors view of my pool...they didn't grow as high as I would have liked, but in NY I guess I'll take what I get....

But you have to pluck at least one mammoth head to marvel at the amazing design of the seeds. I never knew they weren't just crammed in there randomly...it is a beautiful pattern.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:50 PM

7,730 posts, read 12,919,092 times
Milorganite Products

And the pdf showing their results.

Lowe's carries it now.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:42 PM

36,497 posts, read 45,468,190 times
I've had good luck with I Must Garden deer repellent-made here in chapel hill, irish spring and some of the really stinky repellants. But you must switch them around quite a bit. One friend uses fishing line in three levels strung from tree to tree, another swears by a gizmo sold at Lowes which has 6 little metal containers with some kind of repellent in them. hair, urine, golf balls don't work for me.

In june the little ones will be trying everything they see. I put bird netting over some of my low growing perennials. try chicken wire on ther ground as they don't like to walk on that.

good luck

Old 04-28-2010, 06:55 AM

239 posts, read 1,005,512 times
Good luck-last year I tried everything to keep the deer away-and nothing worked! The deer ate everything-azealas, rose bushes, crepe myrtle bushes and even ate the leaves off my bougenevilla (?spelling). They chewed all the leaves and left the thorns-I guess they were starved. This year my yard is barren but I have some lovely potted plants on my deck that they hopefully won't be getting to!!

Old 04-28-2010, 07:55 AM

306 posts, read 677,224 times
I have good luck with the Deer Off spray (available at all the usual suspects.) There's a fair amount of research showing that sprays with a combination of sulfur and capsaicin are effective against deer. Just don't spray the flowers once they come up if you plan on eating the seeds. You'll need to respray about once a month. I have a "timer" in my yard -- if I go over a month, suddenly I don't have daylilies anymore...

Old 04-28-2010, 07:57 AM

604 posts, read 671,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
What have you used (besides a fence of course) to keep deer from eating your sunflowers? Evertime I try to grow them a deer comes along and eats the tiop of the plant off after it gorwas a foot or two. I know there are sprays out there that ward off deer, but I would like to hear from people who have had success using them so I can decide which one I should try.

Thanks!

Here are the types of sunflowers I am trying to grow this season.

MOTHBALLS!!!

You know, the kind you put with certain clothes to keep moths away, put them around the field, and in the field, and they'll stay away, the smell is what they dislike

Cheaper too

Old 04-29-2010, 10:45 AM

133 posts, read 570,720 times
How funny you posted this and I woke up this morning to find the 4' sunflowers that were to be the walls of the sunflower house the kids and I planted last weekend were gone. Not nibbled, gone, G-O-N-E.

On the bright side, sunflower seeds seem to be easy to grow so we'll just start over and put a bunch of soap, pepper, spray, and chain a pit bull next to the plantings.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:16 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,893,458 times
Havng a dog keeping the deer away is a good idea---if--the dog is leashed.

An unleashed dog has the tendency to keep chasing the deer.

In many places, citizens are allowed to shoot any dog chasing deer.
Game Wardens are required to shoot any dog chasing deer.

Be certain to know the laws on dogs chasing deer.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:18 PM

604 posts, read 671,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Havng a dog keeping the deer away is a good idea---if--the dog is leashed.

An unleashed dog has the tendency to keep chasing the deer.

In many places, citizens are allowed to shoot any dog chasing deer.
Game Wardens are required to shoot any dog chasing deer.

Be certain to know the laws on dogs chasing deer.

Mothballs, I'm telling you... or fence off the garden??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden