U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:15 PM

2,199 posts, read 2,768,069 times

Advertisements

I had good luck with the fishingline trick.
I strung it out between all our trees at
4 different levels.

worked well for 2 years until they figured out how to just walk
down the driveway!!

working/gardening around the fishingline was tricky,
kept telling my husband that he would come home one
day and find me dangling in the line unable to
get free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 04:31 PM

180 posts, read 181,991 times
Try a "scarcrow". It hooks up to your hose and is motion activated. When the deer come, they get squirted and scared off. That or you can give me a call next hunting season and I'll fill my tag...

Old 05-11-2010, 06:23 PM

2,959 posts, read 2,452,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
What have you used (besides a fence of course) to keep deer from eating your sunflowers? Evertime I try to grow them a deer comes along and eats the tiop of the plant off after it gorwas a foot or two. I know there are sprays out there that ward off deer, but I would like to hear from people who have had success using them so I can decide which one I should try.

Thanks!

Here are the types of sunflowers I am trying to grow this season.
wake em with a rolled up news paper

Old 05-11-2010, 06:50 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,350,634 times
I have always heard human hair should be sprinkled around.

Also while your dog is chasing one deer others can come eat.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:43 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,100,146 times
My in-laws had great results with hair around their garden. Get it from a local beauty salon and sprinkle around the edges. Must be replenished after a rain as it and the scent may wash away.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:26 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,706,549 times
For nearly 25 years I battled the deer to have a garden. Nothing works for more than a year or two beside a very high fence with no opening they can find. A Music Conservatory with a large property near where I lived had extensive gardens and that was how they did it. The only entrances had electronic gates with cattle grid across the road to keep them from slipping in!! It's probably what you don't want to hear.

The single best ways that worked in my garden were with "Deer Solution" (sprayed on a dry day every few weeks or if there is a lot of new growth more often) and Milorganite (which was already mentioned). Since the deer already got a taste of your Sunflowers in the place you previously planted you may have slightly better success if you plant them in another part of the yard and use repellent. They often follow a path over and over again and will skip some things if they are off of that path. My neighbor had an azalea and some tulips they didn't touch because it was off of the path they took to the woods behind their house. Inter-planting with poisonous plants never worked, they always picked and chose what they liked and left behind the bad stuff. Hair ( in bags or spread around) and Lifeboy soap bars each worked for incredibly short times and then were ignored. They also "learn" to like to eat things they didn't before. You have my sympathy and I hope you find a way to grow your sunflowers!!

Old 08-11-2010, 08:04 PM

36,497 posts, read 45,482,905 times
I've had best luck with stringing fishing line at various levels from tree to tree. Cheaper than fence but it may come to that. I use sprays too but regularly change brands. The deer around here are really hungry as we have had no real rain all summer and no water for them either.

This afternoon somehow 5 deer got into the back yard. When DH saw them he shooed them away and they broke down all my fishing line in a panic to get out. They got in by walking up the driveway. I'll put the lines back up and work on something for the end of the driveway. Not too much for them to eat this time of year anyway but I know they are creatures of habit and I need to train them to stay away.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:02 PM

6,613 posts, read 11,552,689 times
I imagine we don't get them coming into the city proper here , but I noticed today at the seed & pet store a whole SHELF of "deer repellent" type products, so I guess they DO come down to the outskirts of town.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:50 PM

30,351 posts, read 20,655,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks2007 View Post

Our yellow lab kept the deer at bay, but now that he is no longer with us they are stopping by regularly. Animal hair and "scents" are well known to keep deer away. Put dog (or cat?) hair right on the plant or around the base... Pet doody will not only keep the deer away, but your neighbors too (good news/bad news?)!
my sister heard that human hair has the same effect, so she sent me a boxful. the odd thing is that she got it from a barber shop on the navajo reservation, so it's all thick black navajo hair. but oddly enough, that plus lots of Liquid Fence sprayed on the plants seem to be keeping the deer off, for now anyway.

Quote:
I have also had luck with small bags of "Irish Spring" soap that I've put in cut up squares of pantyhose or cheescloth and hung, but they are a PITA to make. They also look silly, like little blue-green eggs. Guess you can just shave some near the flowers...
i tied a bunch of Bounce fabric softener sheets up, they do about the same thing. it makes for a strange smell combination, because they smell great but the stench drifting over from the 'Liquid Fence' smells like fermented coyote pee

and all of this was basically for naught, because none of them seem to bother the groundhog/woodchuck who does almost as much damage as the deer.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:01 PM

433 posts, read 1,021,118 times
Eat them. If there are too many get your friends to eat them too. I love venison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden