U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 10:59 AM

4 posts, read 4,200 times

Advertisements

Human hair (get it from a barber or a salon) hung in socks every few feet around the perimeter. That and you can urinate in spots around the garden and 'mark' your territory. I've had good luck with both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 06:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,675 times
We live in a highly populated deer area as well and have good luck with an easy to use, all natural solution. To keep deer away from your sunflowers check out: Deer Repellent Packs

Old 05-16-2014, 07:22 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,921,449 times
Some people build a high fence around their entire garden. ( a lot of work)

As a dairy farmer who grazed dairy cattle and used only 1 strand electric fence, wouldn't this work?

The only time I had trouble with deer was if they were sprinting full speed and didn't see my grazing wire.

I doubt they would be sprinting full speed near a garden.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:38 AM

36,498 posts, read 45,489,802 times
The OP is 4 years old but I know he lives in a neighborhood in suburbia and electric wires are not a good idea at all.

I've tried everything--all the old wives tales...human hair, irish spring soap, DH peeing all over the place---you name it we tried it including expensive commercial sprays and some we made ourselves. the only thing which has worked is the 7 ft tall deer fence we had installed this past fall. We are in the process of moving all day lilies and other susceptible plants to the back. They still nibble at the iris and balloon flowers and purple leaf cones flowers and well damn...... just about everything left in the front except the daffodils. Even caught one on my front porch having a snack on my porch plants. I hate deer with a passion.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:56 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,921,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
The OP is 4 years old but I know he lives in a neighborhood in suburbia and electric wires are not a good idea at all.

I've tried everything--all the old wives tales...human hair, irish spring soap, DH peeing all over the place---you name it we tried it including expensive commercial sprays and some we made ourselves. the only thing which has worked is the 7 ft tall deer fence we had installed this past fall. We are in the process of moving all day lilies and other susceptible plants to the back. They still nibble at the iris and balloon flowers and purple leaf cones flowers and well damn...... just about everything left in the front except the daffodils. Even caught one on my front porch having a snack on my porch plants. I hate deer with a passion.

I will also question home remedies.

Usually, before a person goes thru the hard work and cost of building a tall fence they have already tried every method under the sun.

Last spring I planted 3 nice Colorado Blue Spruce in my front lawn
$22 each as they were nice sized.
Only one time last winter did the deer bother them but I think one tree won't make it as even the bark was chewed.

The other two have abundant new growth and now are as high as my belt loop on my jeans.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 849 times
Default Deer Be Gone

I have used a highly effective product called Deer Be Gone by I Must Garden. I have seen success in deer staying away from all flowers and even hostas. I needs to be applied only as the new shoots are emerging and flower buds begin. Once the plant is established, you can forget about it. I love this stuff and will never garden again without it.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:32 AM

36,498 posts, read 45,489,802 times
I Must Garden is a company right here in Chapel Hill. I've used her products too and anything will work for a few days maybe but deer are pretty smart and kow how to get around most every product made to keep them away except a FENCE! I bet we spent more money on repellents and replacing plants and spray cans etc than we spent on the fence we finally gotl

Old 06-25-2018, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 373 times
1/3 cup dishwashing liquid
1/3 cup hot sauce
3 beaten eggs
2 gallons water
Spray safely on any plant, but must do weekly or after rain.
Saved everything from the mobs of deer around us in Ohio.

Tractor Supply makes a deer feed. Put that out, and that’s what they’ll go for preferentially.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:22 AM

21,910 posts, read 23,085,779 times
have found the scarecrow water sprayers to be pretty effective but with tall plants like corn or sunflowers you might have to set up four to cover all sides of your garden patch.

Just finished installing a 7 1/2 ft tall (100' linear) deer fence around the second of my three garden patches using t-posts, 1 1/2" -- 10 ft bamboo stakes, deer netting and a crap load of zip-ties. The t-posts were free and the fencing and bamboo stakes were about $100/each.

www.critterfence.com

Old 06-26-2018, 09:24 AM

1,751 posts, read 969,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

Letting the dogs chase them away works just dandy! You have to be able to trust your dogs to stop at the property line, though. And not to try and CATCH the deer.

The orchardists around here use TEN foot tall fencing! I used to have to just live with the deer browsing, but my current two dogs don't like the deer either, so the deer tend to stay away lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden