U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 09:44 AM

95 posts, read 339,353 times

Advertisements

I have a "Seven Sisters" climbing rosebush planted near my porch. Its been there for at least 4 years and has done NOTHING. (seriously, it looks no different than the day I planted it) It is supposed to be a part-shade tolerant rosebush (the location gets only morning sun). I recently figured out that I had planted it too deep - buried the graft knob - and have hollowed out the soil around that. I "fed" it a couple weeks ago but it doesn't show a bit of new growth - just the same old green shoots with mature leaves.

I'm in zone 6 - Texas panhandle - roses generally do well here, and I have others that grow like mad.

Should I go ahead and dig this up and move it to a sunnier location? Did I do permanent damage by burying the graft knob? I'd appreciate some advice.

thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 11:43 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,401,547 times
I would dig it up and prune it back quite a bit to encourage new growth. Don't feed it for a while after you transplant it - you want to encourage root growth not bloom production until the rose gets established....I would plant it with lots of compost....I have yanked roses up in the middle of summer and plopped them some place else and I have never had one die....make sure you don't let the root area dry out - water frequently until the roots are restablished and make sure you get as much of the root ball transplanted as you possibly can.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:45 PM

11,000 posts, read 22,950,780 times
Yes, it sounds like it's not getting enough sun. Doesn't that one only bloom once a year?

Old 06-13-2007, 07:39 AM

Ellie and cattknap, thanks for the tips. Ellie, I don't have a clue when it blooms - it never has bloomed as long as I've owned it.

I believe I'll pull 'er up (gently of course) and pot it. That way I can move it around till I figure out where it should be.

I think one of my problems is that we've lived in the house 30 years, but have planted lots of trees, so the flowerbeds that used to get a LOT of sun have become more shady as the trees got bigger. I really need to spend some time outside on a sunny day to see how much sun I'm really getting in my beds.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:29 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,391,744 times
Default Is it planted under a tree?

If a rose bush is labeled as shade-tolerant, it still should not be planted under a tree. Tree leaves pull pollutants out of the air & when it rains, that washes all the toxins onto your rosebush. Thus failure to thrive. I was planting roses in my back yard under my neighbor's tree & I couldn't understand why they weren't making it. Then my brother told me about the tree toxins. I planted them in my front garden where they get afternoon sun & they bloom now. I think when nurseries label roses shade-tolerant, that just means a less sunny spot.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:50 AM

My rosebush is actually in a flowerbed at the front of my house (facing east) next to my porch. It gets morning sun and is shaded by the house during the afternoon.

The trees we've planted over the past 30 years are all over the property - I probably should have been more clear in my post - and I have other flowerbeds that used to be in the sun that now catch some shade. To my knowledge, this particular corner of the flowerbed gets continuous morning sun. If it gets any shade in the morning, it would be dappled and I would think that would happen during the fall and winter when the sun is lower, rather than summer time when the sun is directly overhead where I live.

I'm sorry that wasn't clear.

I believe I'll pot that rosebush and set it in a sunny spot on the back deck to see if it will start growing. Until I looked it up on a rose vendor's website, I had forgotten what it was supposed to look like!

Old 08-08-2007, 10:02 PM

119 posts, read 548,165 times
Seven sisters rose bushes will bloom once a year in the spring. Mine is planted in a shade location here in VT. It receives just the late afternoon sun and has gone totally crazy with growth. It is a great climber so be prepared when it is happy it will go wild.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 6,384 times
About your non-blooming climber! Could be that any of the growth you have is coming from 'beneath' the bud union[the knob where the graft occurred]. A climbing rose that was on the property where I now live, showed your symptoms and I realized it true after digging down around the base. In other words what you have is 'sucker' growth. It sounds as if the plant gets enough sun [as my plant did]. Good luck this Spring with the garden!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:51 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,763,692 times
A few used teabags will help rosebushes also, you just dig a small hole about 5 inches from the trunk and plop in a used teabag here and there, cover with dirt, I can't think now what it is called but its something in the tea that is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden