U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,516 times

Advertisements

so, i live in fayetteville, arkansas. my yard flooded a few weeks ago and now i have 30-40 maple seedlings throughout my front yard. i would really love to save several of them and want to be sure i transplant them correctly. at this time they are approx 3-6 inches tall with a few small leaves. i see that care should be given not to damage or stress the tap root. how deep can i expect the tap root to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 10:36 AM

6,473 posts, read 14,376,656 times
In zone 7 I had luck transplanting red and silver maple seedlings in the Autumn and Spring. You can try to mark the ones you'd like to transplant with sticks or something until then. Also, as others mentioned. Dig deep along the sides and then kind of lever the plant out...not sure if I'm explaining well, but the point is to try to keep the "tap" root.

Smaller seedlings may be easier to transplant. I mulched mine with leaves, marked them with sticks and then removed the leaves in Spring. Remember to water it as needed until the ground freezes no matter when you transplant.

I have a secret I use for transplanting things "out of season" LOL, if you're antsy and want to risk moving one now: Dig up the transplant with a lot of original soil. Dig the hole nice and big, and loosen up a lot of soil. Water a bit in the hole and let it drain out. Put in the transplant with it's soil, and water it well. Pinch off a couple of leaves or stems. Water deeply once-a-week or as needed until winter.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:24 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,660,334 times
One more hit: we have had luck transplanting all kinds of things ( including small seedling trees) if we orient them to the sun the exact same way they stated growing. We took small pine seedling and tied a thread on the "north" facing side and planted them that way. Same with other trees.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:28 AM

8,065 posts, read 13,518,821 times
I have a neighbor who has said the only way to get maple trees to grow is to leave them in the gutter on your house all winter. lol

Old 06-06-2011, 07:24 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,860,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Firstly, what do you mean by “soil additive”, if you mean fertiliser, don’t use it, it will kill seedlings..
Secondly you say that you keep the root ball intact. There is not really a root ball with a seedling, more a long tap root and a few fibrous roots, and if you haven’t got the majority of these the plant will probably die.
I always dig as many of the roots up with the plant, and then pot it up in potting compost, water it well and keep it in the shade for a while. Then when it is growing and has definitely recovered I will choose a good spot to plant it in.
One advantage of this method is that you can plant in Winter while the plant is dormant, giving it a good chance to grow the new roots needed in the spring.
That's what I do too. I can't stand to see anything destroyed, so I "save" every seedling. I plant them in pots for a year, keep them well watered. I now have two maples that are 3' tall and need to be planted.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:23 PM

4 posts, read 1,728 times
Default I am blessed

I am late to this topic but I live in Kentucky. I found 3or4 inch saplings in my pea gravel around a flower bed in fall, 2016.
I picked them, placed them in the ground beside my raised bed garden so I could tend them and in the spring, 2017, leaves popped out and the saplings were about 10" tall. I did use bone/blood meal a few times.
I transplanted them in the back yard summer, 2017.
I cared for them all summer like they were babies. Not much care needed.
This year, the first thing to leaf out was those maple trees--they are now about 3 1/2 feet tall, bushy, leafy and have 3/4 shoots each. And are beautiful, healthy and I didn't do anything special to them.
I read maples grow about 3 feet if a normal year, and in some cases, 7 feet.
I hope these trees are 6 feet this fall--wonderful.
If we had a dry spell, I did water the plants.
I don't need any more maples-the one dropping seedlings is huge and provides great shade, but if I do again, I will lay mulch around the saplings and wait for a 10" growth before transplanting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden