Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 10:06 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,904 times

Advertisements

I ask this because every spring after the snow melts there is a lot of it in my bushes and flowers planted around my house. It eventually breaks down so I don't bother trying to remove it.

It does creep me out about the amount and also my spring pulling up weeds and grass from around the the plants. Should I add anything, like a acid fertilizer or alkaline to counteract the amount of rabbit poo? I've never tested soil, probably wouldn't bother either way, just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 10:10 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
When we clean the cages, we put the dry stuff in a bucket of warm water for several days to make fertilizer tea. Although it isn't a complete fertilizer, it does contribute to the garden. It also tends to be on the acid side but I wouldn't worry about it unless your plants need a strong alkaline soil.

Enjoy!

Old 05-14-2018, 10:49 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Rabbit manure is among the BEST fertilizers in existence.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:01 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Changed the thread title. Dodo is an extinct bird. Doo doo is the generally accepted spelling.

"Rabbit manure is among the BEST fertilizers in existence."

Rabbit presence is among the WORST gardener pests in existence these days. Wild rabbits are major tick hosts, as well as liking tender veggies. Pet rabbits are fine.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:11 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Rabbit manure is among the BEST fertilizers in existence.

Agreed. Rabbit manure has more nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium than other animal manures used in agriculture. It's my understanding it has the highest nitrogen content of all animal manures.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:18 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,904 times
Thanks Harry for correcting my error, oops! I should have used a totally different word to begin with.

In the winter I live trap most of them and bring them to a forested area. They start to run out of things to eat in this area. I've lost a flowering crab tree one year and almost a yew. I put chicken wire around the susceptible trees and bushes. Some bushes I don't know how to protect.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:30 AM

I've noticed that without too much human intervention wild rabbit populations naturally cycle (sudden mental image of hundreds of bunnies pedaling tiny bikes down bike paths) The population grows to a point that the fox and coyote population surges and keeps them in check. Around open areas, hawks and eagles are prime predators.

To protect plants try fox urine or Irish Spring soap bars or spraying the plant with a garlic water spray. None are permanent like fences, but the soap lasts a while before the odor loses effectiveness.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:08 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
When food is scarce or the warren too big, female rabbits will absorb their embryos. Another way to keep the population under control.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:57 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Changed the thread title. Dodo is an extinct bird. Doo doo is the generally accepted spelling.

"Rabbit manure is among the BEST fertilizers in existence."

Rabbit presence is among the WORST gardener pests in existence these days. Wild rabbits are major tick hosts, as well as liking tender veggies. Pet rabbits are fine.
We have noticed a few rabbits around our place lately. When you say tick hosts, does that mean they would stay on the rabbit? We just pulled out a tick each this morning and the same two days ago. Not that the rabbits brought them in particular, just curious if they stay on the rabbit. I know we can get them walking to the mail box or to our vehicles as well.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:08 PM

Ticks drop off the host animals at various times in the life cycle. If you are getting them simply by walking to your vehicle, you have a serious problem. Keep grass extremely short, use insecticide, if at all possible eliminate the rabbits or mice that are the carriers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden