U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2010, 11:37 AM
 
19,059 posts, read 22,460,769 times
Reputation: 13452

Advertisements

Hi all,

So, last weekend I spent all day saturday removing branches, pine cones, yard stuff from all over my property (>0.5 acre). This weekend I was prepared to mow the lawn. Well, during the week we had high gusting winds and now the property is full of this stuff all over again. I'm trying to move it out of my way as I mow, but it's frustrating. I've looked at lawn vacuums online, but they're so expensive.

Is there a quicker way to deal with this stuff besides raking?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2010, 12:29 PM
 
Location: rain city
2,958 posts, read 11,558,532 times
Reputation: 4916
Outside of really large branches, I just mow right over all that stuff, pine cones and all. A good mulcher mower will pick it up and chop it all to bits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 12:41 PM
 
19,059 posts, read 22,460,769 times
Reputation: 13452
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Outside of really large branches, I just mow right over all that stuff, pine cones and all. A good mulcher mower will pick it up and chop it all to bits.
Thanks. A mulcher mower. Is that the same as a lawn vacuum? I'll google that.

We have a lot of dying trees on our property, so it's a constant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 12:51 PM
 
Location: rain city
2,958 posts, read 11,558,532 times
Reputation: 4916
Lawn vacuums are a different device and IMO fairly worthless. They tend to be enormous and really heavy, the machine itself wears you out just using it. Plus the catch bags are porous and they blow dust and dirt and grit all over you.

Get a better lawnmower.

(why are your trees all dying?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 12:57 PM
 
19,059 posts, read 22,460,769 times
Reputation: 13452
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Lawn vacuums are a different device and IMO fairly worthless. They tend to be enormous and really heavy, the machine itself wears you out just using it. Plus the catch bags are porous and they blow dust and dirt and grit all over you.

Get a better lawnmower.
Again, thanks for that. I was considering buying one. We have a $300 lawn mower we bought last year. I think it's a Toro with a Honda motor. Do you have a recommendation?

Quote:
(why are your trees all dying?)
I'm not sure. We bought this property last year. I think there are just too many trees and not all of them are getting enough sun. It could be something else. I need to get an arborist out here.

eta: We have a lot of smallish cedars that aren't doing well and huge pines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 01:10 PM
 
Location: rain city
2,958 posts, read 11,558,532 times
Reputation: 4916
Toro and Honda both make very good mulcher mowers, but they are pricey. The self propelled walk behind Honda we use at work cost $1,300.

For that kind of money you can buy a riding mower. But it would not be the best quality riding mower, and my experience with riding mowers is that they require more maintenance and repairs than walk behinds.

If you do buy a new walk behind mower/mulcher be sure to buy one with rear feed directly into the grass bag. Avoid mowers which have a tube shute feed into the catch bag--those shutes stay constantly clogged up with grass. They are a huge PITA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 01:40 PM
 
523 posts, read 837,012 times
Reputation: 208
Is there a burn ordinance where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 01:46 PM
 
19,059 posts, read 22,460,769 times
Reputation: 13452
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Toro and Honda both make very good mulcher mowers, but they are pricey. The self propelled walk behind Honda we use at work cost $1,300.

For that kind of money you can buy a riding mower. But it would not be the best quality riding mower, and my experience with riding mowers is that they require more maintenance and repairs than walk behinds.

If you do buy a new walk behind mower/mulcher be sure to buy one with rear feed directly into the grass bag. Avoid mowers which have a tube shute feed into the catch bag--those shutes stay constantly clogged up with grass. They are a huge PITA.
I'm not sure which we have right now. It goes into a bag and hasn't clogged yet. I'll get a walk behind mulch mower, but I can't afford 1k. I'm hoping to spend $4-500 tops. Eh, I can't even afford that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
Is there a burn ordinance where you live?
We can burn here. Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2017, 09:19 AM
 
1 posts, read 8,196 times
Reputation: 10
I just open a lawncare buisness and have quote on removing twigs,acorn, and sticks at least what I was told on phone. How much should I charge?? Im out Hickory, NC if that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2017, 09:29 AM
 
Location: NC
656 posts, read 1,014,383 times
Reputation: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Hi all,

So, last weekend I spent all day saturday removing branches, pine cones, yard stuff from all over my property (>0.5 acre). This weekend I was prepared to mow the lawn. Well, during the week we had high gusting winds and now the property is full of this stuff all over again. I'm trying to move it out of my way as I mow, but it's frustrating. I've looked at lawn vacuums online, but they're so expensive.

Is there a quicker way to deal with this stuff besides raking?

Thanks!
One trash is someone's treasure...make a small pile as a sample and put the picture on craigslist/local garden forum, who knows, some gardner might just haul them and put it their compost...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top