U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 01:56 PM

1,785 posts, read 3,099,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
If they are that soft, the frost will kill them, not shock them.
You need to wait until there is no risk of frost.
Thanks Beclazone - that is helpful to know. They ARE soft. I spent about an hour yesterday putting in stakes and tying loose string aound the stems and the stake. Want to make sure they grow tall, proud, and supported!

Right now, we are in the 80's - but this weekend is forecast to be in the 60's. The plants will remain indoors snuggly in the window!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 03:35 PM

11,508 posts, read 7,849,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Thanks Beclazone - that is helpful to know. They ARE soft. I spent about an hour yesterday putting in stakes and tying loose string aound the stems and the stake. Want to make sure they grow tall, proud, and supported!

Right now, we are in the 80's - but this weekend is forecast to be in the 60's. The plants will remain indoors snuggly in the window!
I just didn’t want all your good work to go to waste. I know how heartbreaking it can be, to lose your plants after spending months nurturing them. Good luck.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:15 AM

2,160 posts, read 6,837,999 times
Try peas/beans and other climbers. I stick one of those wooden tomato stakes in the pot to give them something to climb on. When they fill out, its adds a great depth to the look of wherever the pot is.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:45 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,789,777 times
What about growing multiple kinds of plants in a pot? I had heard about "salsa containers" or "pasta sauce pots" where you grow the basics for salsa or sauce in one container. How big of a container would you need for something like that? Also, are there other combos that do well together in pots or window boxes? I have incredibly limited space!

Old 05-05-2010, 08:39 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,620,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
What about growing multiple kinds of plants in a pot? I had heard about "salsa containers" or "pasta sauce pots" where you grow the basics for salsa or sauce in one container. How big of a container would you need for something like that? Also, are there other combos that do well together in pots or window boxes? I have incredibly limited space!
A "salsa" container would need to be fairly large (same goes for pasta sauce), because tomatoes require a rather large space. There are some smaller varieties that I've heard of, but I can't think of what they are at the moment, or even where I heard about them. It wouldn't be out of the question, though, to have a tomato, a jalapeño, and some cilantro growing in the same pot.

I've had eggplant and peppers growing in the same pot with good results. I've mixed other things, too, but don't remember what. As long as each plant has its basic needs met, you shouldn't have much trouble with planting them together in the same container.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:59 PM

4,925 posts, read 6,331,533 times
I plant a lot of stuff in containers because I dont have much area to plant in. My front yard no longer has grass, plus it is over my septic system and fairly small. My back yard is covered by huge oak trees. So lots goes in pots that I can place in the sunniest spots.

I have cukes, tomatoes, bush beans. peppers, sage, swiss chard, lavenders, strawberries, blueberries, thyme, mints, radishes......

Old 05-14-2010, 12:14 AM

1,504 posts, read 5,571,794 times
BTW, if you don't want to spend more money on containers than you would've spent on vegetables, get some grow bags. They are a lot like plastic pots, but they are made of flexible plastic similar to the one used in trash bags (but thicker). I just got a 25-pack of 5-gallon bags for $12+shipping off eBay. The biggest downside is that, unlike normal pots, you can't easily move grow bags from place to place without risk of damage to the roots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden