Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 09:53 PM

13 posts, read 81,771 times

Advertisements

The "Velet Ant" is a tough one to kill.True it's a wasp with out wings but also true is it's reputation for killing cows. Sometimes when a cow is grazing they'll slurp up one of these bad girls and it'll sting the cow in the throat. Sometimes resulting in enough swelling to actually cause death. When disturbed she'll shake violently causing a rattle sound. If you try to step on it to kill it-Good Luck. Her stinger is like a surgical instrument so be careful around them. The male flies low to the ground in search of her to mate.Thank goodness he has no stinger. I lived in Baltiomore for years and never saw any but in Florida I see em quite often.

Welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 11:45 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,561 times
Boric acid is a cheap, safe, effective way to get rid of ants and crawling insects.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:16 AM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfss View Post
http://http://a655.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/22/l_a8619913df820d4bff3b739908911456.jpg (broken link)

can any one tell me what this bug is? i have tried to find it on google images and couldn't find anything. I'm in twin falls, Idaho and we just moved into this home and found several of them so far. http://a655.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...9908911456.jpg
It looks like possibly one of the Mayfly family.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:02 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,707 times
Silverwings spider is called a writing spider. I have a picture almost identical to yours It was huge and pretty scary.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:13 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch1962 View Post
Her stinger is like a surgical instrument so be careful around them.
Okay, Dutch, I knew by reading that page you linked to was going to be a mistake. Creepy, but informative. Also, it's been over a year this thread started, and in that time I've moved to NC and haven't seen one cowkiller. I might find it interesting providing my cats don't find one roaming through the house (we've had several black wasps creep in and, fortunately, our cats attacked them without being stung). A cowkiller's sting sounds like they would take out our precious felines.

Okay, maybe I can live never encountering one. I went to the coast and visited some friends and came across a black cottonmouth snake. Aggressive buggers. I don't need to encounter one of those ever again, either. Though in the San Gabriel mountains in California, during my history of hiking there, I've run across around three or four diamond back rattlers. Fortunately, never a bite, attempted strike or anything else (which really only proved that I could run faster than they could at reacting, apparently).

Mosquitos and wasps, ants and more ants have been the biggest problem in our home life since moving to NC. I'm getting sick of the ants!

Old 10-22-2007, 07:52 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
I'm in the mountains of Southern California (about a mile high), and I've seen two of these "velvet ants" that I can remember. The ones I've seen were all red, about 3/4 to 1 inch long. They were very interesting to watch, just because they were so different from everything else I've seen.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:26 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,707 times
Default I have also seen the fuzzy red (bee?) in Calif.

actually in the northern sierras where I grew up. Also met quite a few diamondbacks as part of my early teens were on a 20 ac. lot. Snakes are easy as long as you dont startle them or chase them Now in TN after 20 years in NY

Old 12-11-2008, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 8,420 times
in florida we call those furry red insects triggers and it bites like a bee!! caution!!

Old 12-11-2008, 03:58 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,459 times
I've seen a few velvet ants here (Sierra Nevada). Just steer clear and they should be fairly harmless.

About a year ago I got up one morning, opened my front door, and a Pine Sawyer fell and nearly landed on me. The damn thing must have been 4 inches long...bigger then any June Bug or Rain Beetle I've seen. It was pretty nasty.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:19 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
When I was younger, I used to play with bugs all the time. I came upon one of these, and thinking it was an ant, tried to pick it up. Big mistake! That sting hurt like hell, much worse than a regular bee sting. Of course, I was young so maybe my memory is skewed, but since then I give these things a wide berth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden