Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 04:56 PM

382 posts, read 1,887,536 times

Advertisements

Our neighbors have a Bermuda lawn. Ours is Fescue. Is there anything I can do to prevent the neighbors grass from growing into ours? I could possibly plant some sort of shrubs along the property line, but it would have to look nice. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 05:03 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpocketbooks View Post
Our neighbors have a Bermuda lawn. Ours is Fescue. Is there anything I can do to prevent the neighbors grass from growing into ours? I could possibly plant some sort of shrubs along the property line, but it would have to look nice. Any recommendations?
Yeah that's tough, Bermuda is such a powerful grass it has the potential to become a real problem... My only recommendation is to do what I had to do to keep it out of the flower beds... I had to put brick planers up around the flower beds and it did a pretty good job, unfortunately running bricks between the two houses may look pretty tacky. Perhaps there's a certain type of fertilizer for fescue that says DO NOT USE on Bermuda? I'm not sure, I've never had fescue.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:56 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Bermuda grass is classified as an invasive weed in most parts of the country. when you go into many nurseries you will see on the shelf for sale "Bermuda Weed Killer".
Bermuda is the more dominate grass type vegetaion that will choke out most other grasses. Bermuda grass is known to root down to 5 feet and crawl over and come up yards away from where you previously saw it.
Two ways to control it. #1 install a barrier along the ppty line at least 3 feet deep, or #2 spray Round-up on it. Though Round-up kills any vegetation it comes in contact with above ground.
Generally once bermuda is established it is almost impossible to eradicate, hence it being called an invasive weed.

Last edited by wit-nit; 10-26-2007 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-29-2007, 09:18 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
A border could look nice.

Consider a serpentine design (natural, wavy shape) and try to layer in three different heights (low, medium, high). These 2 factors usually end up in a well-balanced design that fits almost anywhere.

Also consider using plants native to your location. You'll not only save time with having less grass to deal with, but once established, native plants need little care.

You might even want to make it into a theme garden - a butterfly garden or a bee garden.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:38 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,390,708 times
Unfortunately, Round-Up doesn't really work on bermuda grass, long-term. You have to spray every few weeks and it always comes back. You could spend a fortune fighting a losing battle. I haven't found a single thing that will keep it out of my flower beds permanently. I sure would like to, though.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:22 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
plant trees and shrubs along the border, Bermuda grass does not thrive in shade. That being said, the only little patch of grass I have is Bermuda and it barely survives in the sun due to out hot, dry weather. I have never seen Bermuda cross any shady area here.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:16 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
This last spring when I was looking for fertilizer for my lawn there was one that I think scott's made that killed all weeds and Bermuda grass. You might look for something like that. It was a weed and feed type fertilizer.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:10 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Unfortunately, Round-Up doesn't really work on bermuda grass, long-term. You have to spray every few weeks and it always comes back. You could spend a fortune fighting a losing battle. I haven't found a single thing that will keep it out of my flower beds permanently. I sure would like to, though.
As I said Roundup to control it, not eliminate it. Even if you have to spray every day. There is nothing else you can use on it without killing all other vegetation around it, or sterilizing the area where nothing will grow.
Again bermuda roots down to 5 feet and can grow underground and come up where you don't want it. The more water it gets the more it grows. It's primarily a weed and the only way to control it is with Round-up or digging down and putting in a concrete barrier probably 3 to 5 feet deep.
Once you have bermuda, you'll always have bermuda.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 9,366 times
I also have Bermuda grass issues. I first just tried digging it up. I have a large yard we are turning into an edible forest landscape. It was SUCH hard work and it seemed to grow faster than I could dig. I used roundup on the yard for two years. It just temporarily stunts its growth...kills everything else, though. Then I ordered mulch and mulched the yard to 8" deep. The bermuda grass came back, but MUCH thinner and slower. From there I dug up whatever popped above the mulch. Still hard work, but less of it, and the rhizomes were thin, twisted, and yellow-brown. MUCH weaker. Simple shade doesn't seem to control it here. I am zone 5 and our soil is pH of 7.0. Turns out Bermuda grass is basic-soil loving, and our soil is basic. By adding the mulch I lowered our soil pH (it was raw woodchips), added shade, and microbial activity. By changing the environment of our soil to something less ideal we have begun to win the battle. Now when it creeps into shady places, it is shallow rooted and easy to pull up. It still creeps into our yard (read SPRINTS into our yard) from the neighbors yards. The roots that I pull up here are in the neighborhood of 1'-1.5' deep. There seems to be nothing below that, and I've dug up a lot of Bermuda grass. My next step is putting in a rhizome barrier on the property line. I am looking at Century Root Barrier products, though I haven't purchased anything yet. Has anyone used these products successfully to control Bermuda grass?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:24 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpocketbooks View Post
Our neighbors have a Bermuda lawn. Ours is Fescue. Is there anything I can do to prevent the neighbors grass from growing into ours?
Right off the bat, I would suggest "Flame Thrower"!! Or some version thereof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden