U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 12:34 PM

111 posts, read 288,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
american wisteria ...This way you can have the beauty of wisteria and none of the headaches.
Yes, there is a native wisteria... use that one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 03:01 PM

41,050 posts, read 15,836,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllowe View Post
It is one thing to tame your own plants, but I'm dying here trying to clean up the invasives taking over from OTHER people's yards. And mimosas, wisterias, they are so prolific, you could not have one anywhere in sight and find their little seedlings popping up all through your yard, as seeds are carried by wind and birds. And as it happens, popping up and invading natural habitats and wetlands.
I hear you, lllowe! In the past few years, my backyard has been taken over by trumpet vine, honeysuckle, black raspberries (yummy, but ruining my shrubs and other plants) and a couple others whose names I don't know. I didn't plant any of them. I realize the seeds were probably carried by birds or other animals, but still - SOMEBODY planted them nearby to begin with, and now I'm having to deal with them. It's been a losing battle so far.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:01 PM

20,419 posts, read 39,109,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllowe View Post
Please stop planting exotic invasive plants. Bamboo, mimosa, chinese wisteria, privet, english ivy, japanese honeysuckle...Please oh please read about invasive plants and stop planting them, especially near property lines where neighbors inevitably have to deal with them. There are plenty of non-aggressive, easy care, and BEAUTIFUL native species to plant. Thank you for your consideration.
I am pretty sure that anything anyone on this board plants will not be invading your yard....

I think you need to give that talk to your neighbors.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:02 AM

Actually I posted it in my local forum ("neighbors") and they moved it here. But since birds carry the offending seeds, you COULD plant something in PA and have the seedling end up in my yard.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:10 PM

1,636 posts, read 5,020,710 times
well, after reading this thread I am thrilled that I don't have any of the offensive plants growing in my yard (yet). and i always thought wisteria was so pretty....oh well!

Old 05-08-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
well, after reading this thread I am thrilled that I don't have any of the offensive plants growing in my yard (yet). and i always thought wisteria was so pretty....oh well!
After thinking back a bit, I'm sure I considered wisteria for my yard when I first moved in...before I started researching gardening, especially with natives. Now I unwillingly have wisteria...there are plenty of people in the neighborbood that have it so I am constantly yanking out seedlings. (Mimosa is worse...I think I saw another 10 mimosa babies this morning while I was out...and I've been yanking them out all spring.) Here is a wonderful website for NC'ers that has lists of most horrible invasives and lists of recommended natives:
NC Native Plant Society Home Page

And a more general native plant site:
Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center - The University of Texas at Austin

Not that all natives are so wonderful...I'm a-yankin out the native poison ivy babies constantly too!

Old 05-08-2010, 11:51 AM

57,818 posts, read 76,774,881 times
wisteria and bamboo are beautiful but you are right about property lines.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:48 PM

74,850 posts, read 87,274,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I am pretty sure that anything anyone on this board plants will not be invading your yard....

thank you!!!

Old 05-10-2010, 04:07 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,272,405 times
^^I'm thinking some of you don't know the first thing about invasive species, or the lengths to which local, state, and federal gov'ts will go to control and/or eradicate these plants. It's ignorant homeowners and gardeners who are likely responsible for this, and they would do well to finally educate themselves on what constitutes an invasive species, and by what mechanisms those species spread and become unmanageable.

Noxious and Nuisance Plant Management Information System (http://el.erdc.usace.army.mil/pmis/ - broken link)

Invasive Species: Plants - Databases

FAQs — New England Wild Flower Society

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_heal...st-2010doc.pdf

Federal Noxious Weeds List | USDA PLANTS

If a fence were enough, there wouldn't exist all matter of local and federal regs designed to stamp these plants out, now would there?

Old 05-11-2010, 05:44 AM

5,235 posts, read 7,909,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

Read this thread.

People on this board seem willing and able to plant mimosa's. I have a few thousand seedlings in my neighborhood and yard from a neighbor who planted them at some point. They line her yard as a screen and have spread for miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden