U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:59 AM

622 posts, read 1,468,828 times

Advertisements

In my area we have Dandlions and creeping charie, buckthorn. Group home director wont let me/us use roundup. Quick question- I keep cats and am wondering if Catnip is invasive, I planted it. I suppose it is because I've seen it grow wild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 09:13 AM

204,546 posts, read 78,859,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Mint is my current favorite plant I love to hate because it cannot be controlled. Even if contained in a planter pot, mint will sneak out surreptitiously and into the surrounding ground, leeching its way far and wide overtaking everything.

If I had a neighbor who planted mint, I'd spray the neighbors yard with 2-4-5 T in the dark of night. Might spray the neighbor too.
That is the same as "Agent Orange"... a soil sterilization chemical and brush killer....It would certainly do the job.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:37 AM

that would be destruction of property/truspassing and could land you in jail.

seriously I dont think natives have much of a future- at all outside of landscaping by a few die hard pros. In a few hundred years they will probably all but the most agressive will die out in the wild. I mean in the wild where land is set aside for them unless it is( the land) babyed they have invasives to contend with... on homeowner property not only do they have invasives but a new buyer could just yank them out and plant whatever... sigh.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:28 AM

39,062 posts, read 48,006,211 times
I can add anemone and Cameleon plant (houttuynia) to the others. Thank God I am moving, because I've tried to get them out of a flowerbed I have and it's impossible.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:11 PM

They should have labs in place where they test the invastiveness of the plants they sell. Indoor gardens so to speak.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:50 PM

1,505 posts, read 3,913,936 times
Well good to know this isn't a problem that I contribute to. The only invasive plants where I live are the ones that nobody would ever plant anyway. The stuff that people do like to plant will barely grow at all.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:33 AM

Buckthorn- was once a hedge but has escaped and is now on the MN DNR invasive plant list.

Creeping charlie- brought over by the saxons to make beer

Dandilions-, some european woman brought them over because they looked pretty.

Its a bigger issue then most people realise.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:25 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,269,647 times
It doesn't get much worse than Brazilian pepper. They grow in thick, tangled thickets that choke out anything native. They fruit heavily, birds LOVE them, and spread them all over the place. They seemed unphased by even our last record-breaking cold winter. I witnessed them basically take over all disturbed land in central Florida in the space of about ten years. They are in the flooded mangrove zones and in dry scrubby lots and all along the roadsides. If you cut them down they grow back twice as big. The roots must be completely removed as it can regrow from even tiny root fragments left behind. They have an irritant sap (poison ivy family) that means you have to wear protective clothing to deal with them. A real nightmare.

It also illustrates the difficulty in doing anything about invasive plants, because this plant would not survive, much less be invasive, in cooler zones. What's invasive and what is not is a very local determination and it can change. For instance, Brazilian pepper was limited to south Florida until the last decade or so. It was thought that central Florida's periodic freezes would prevent it from moving northwards, yet here it is.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:07 AM

30,315 posts, read 20,635,892 times
paulownia trees.

plant one, get a million

Old 05-18-2010, 09:43 AM

4,795 posts, read 6,977,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
Quick question- I keep cats and am wondering if Catnip is invasive, .
Quick answer.....Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden