U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 10:04 PM

510 posts, read 1,856,044 times

Advertisements

I recently planted PHLOX in my Perrenial garden. Can you tell me how long should it take for this flower to spread? Can I expect to see anything this season, or will I have to wait till next season.
Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 06:01 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,156,678 times
I'm not sure of your climate or soil type/fertility, but it can take several years to spread. We live in a cold climate in Vt and our phlox took several years to spread. My mother on the other hand lives in Ct (more mild) with very good soil and hers spread the same in half the time. You should see some flowering this year, but the ideal plan is to have the plant put it's energy into forming a root system and not so much flowers the first year. I wouldn't worry if you get tons of flowers as well. The roots should be established by fall. In our harsh climate we have had roses that have put out a significant amount of flowers the first year in the ground and survived just fine.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:03 AM

41,083 posts, read 15,858,597 times
I've got lots of phlox. They spread so fast, that every year I dig some up and give them away to friends or trade for other perennials. I live in NW Indiana, and I have found phlox to be quite winter-hardy.

OP, I suspect your plants will bloom this season; however, that depends partly on their size. When I first got mine, they were tiny seedlings from a nursery catalog. They did grow quickly, and I got some blooms the first summer. However, I planted them in the fall, so they had several months to develop root systems. I prefer fall planting for perennials, for that reason.

I've had the phlox for several years now, and they actually have become invasive. I've had to move most of the ones from my garden and plant them away from other things so they can grow separately and spread to their little hearts' content! But every year, now, I get "volunteer" phlox all over in the garden and have to pull them out like weeds.

Phlox are beautiful - I hope you enjoy yours!

Oh, one more thing. A childhood memory. My mom had phlox when I was a kid, and she told me that each little blossom has a drop of sweet nectar at its base. If you pick one of the little flowerets, you can suck the nectar from its bottom. That is, if you beat the honeybees to it! I still do that on occasion, just for the memory. Tastes like honey.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:54 PM

I am on Long island in Ny. The Phlox I have now is blueish purple and their are flowers already. I planted them in my perennial garden

Old 05-07-2010, 11:20 AM

41,083 posts, read 15,858,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budsvtec View Post
I am on Long island in Ny. The Phlox I have now is blueish purple and their are flowers already. I planted them in my perennial garden
If your plants are that big already, they should multiply quickly!

FYI, there are some beautiful hybrid phlox in many different colors and patterns of blossoms. However, I found that after several years, most revert back to the bluish-purple ones that were their ancestors.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:55 PM

I wasnt really looking for the purples or the pinks _ wanted the bluish or the white flowers.....I hope they spread nicely....All my perennials are growing nicely.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:28 PM

9,343 posts, read 19,759,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budsvtec View Post
I wasnt really looking for the purples or the pinks _ wanted the bluish or the white flowers.....I hope they spread nicely....All my perennials are growing nicely.
I have more phlox (mostly white) than I care to... send me a DM if you want some and we can figure out if you're anywhere near me--I'll gladly share!!

Old 05-09-2010, 06:27 PM

12,266 posts, read 12,016,943 times
I have various types of phlox, one spreads quite a bit, the others not so much. I like it though, very low maintenance plant!

I'm amazed how my perennials are doing, way ahead of last year, but then we had a milder winter and not so bad April!

Old 05-09-2010, 09:42 PM

450 posts, read 786,020 times
Default I have them

here in NYC, in all colors, and most people stop to ask me, what is their name. They are truly beautiful, and when I get a surprise in another part of the house..........I welcome it. Just use a good fungicide to control powdery mildew.........and you should be .

Old 05-10-2010, 06:30 AM

When does the fungicide usually appear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden