U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:07 PM

510 posts, read 1,856,795 times

Advertisements

We are renovating our home. For the past 5 months there has been a POD on my lawn in one spot and on the other side a Pile of Wood and other construction items. I recently moved all of the wood.

On Monday of this week, I raked up the area where the wood was, and Put Soil down....Then covered it with grass seed and watered.

Will I expect to have grass grow in these areas? What else will I need to do?
Thanks,
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 05:37 AM

956 posts, read 3,665,979 times
Knowing your location will help those responding to this question. In general, you should scratch up the existing soil before adding soil over top. If you just recently seeded, I suggest that you go back and do this, you should still get decent germination. You probably should add some starter fertilizer if you haven't already. Not just any fertilizer, make sure to use starter fertilizer. Also, cover the seed with some type of mulch - something similar to Penn Mulch. And keep the area watered at least until you see germination. You don't need to soak it, but it needs to stay moist.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:57 PM

I am in NY - I cannot water yet because the hose and spigot is not hooked up yet. My house is under construction

Old 05-07-2010, 08:36 AM

761 posts, read 3,104,284 times
I ground out 3 stumps that were in the yard in mid April, dug out all the mulch from the stumps, filled the holes with new black dirt and seeded it, 3 weeks later I have new grass growing in those areas. I did water the spots daily until germination, now every other day until it's ready to mow. Luckily it just so happens to rain every other day around here lately so the watering has been done for me automatically lately.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:10 AM

20,793 posts, read 55,243,450 times
Did you put a layer of dirt of the the grass seeds? Rake the seeds into the dirt if you did not. They have to be covered to germinate. Also, it might not be warm enough for the seeds to germinate. When it is warm enough you need too keep that area well watered so water it a couple times/day for about 3 weeks while the grass grows in. Another option is to go to the garden center and buy a few rolls of sod.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:57 PM

I have to buy top soil - Wasnt able to buy it.....

Old 05-11-2010, 08:23 PM

4,023 posts, read 4,844,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budsvtec View Post
I have to buy top soil - Wasnt able to buy it.....
Buy it asap and throw some over the seeds......because the birds are going to find it and have a feast....mice will eat it, too...... You might want to add a little fertilizer with it,too.......some type of food.... Some soil has food in it.....such as Miracle Grow.... It has to stay moist if you want it to grow......just don't soak it it too much or else you will have run off......

Old 05-11-2010, 08:27 PM

4,023 posts, read 4,844,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budsvtec View Post
I am in NY - I cannot water yet because the hose and spigot is not hooked up yet. My house is under construction
After you get it covered, if you are not having any showers or heavy morning dew, get a watering can and sprinkle it.....maybe borrow a neighbor's hose or something.....

Unless you are in an arid climate, it'll grow even if you don't water because there is humidity in the air, dew, etc., but it won't be a great, thick lawn if you don't sprinkle it here and there......

Old 05-11-2010, 08:28 PM

I dont have the time or money right now...got to concentrate on getting my house primed and painted. Guess I will have to reseed in the future. Maybe after I remove the POD from te other side of the lawn

Old 03-27-2011, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 7,129 times
I live in Il. when do you cut the old mums down so that the new mums will grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden