Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 01:01 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times

Advertisements

They're adorable too.

(and much MUCH easier to control than goats)
Attached Thumbnails
Help!!! We have poison ivy in our yard?-lambs.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 05:21 PM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
We have a wooded lot near our house I pass by when taking the dog for a walk. They have a dog behind a fence and I would let my dog run up and say hello. Well spring is here and the poison ivy it is so thick there I don't let my dog get anywhere near their property.
I check our hedges for it and kill it as I see it. I'll mow it down if its near the edge and creeping into the lawn or spray it if its inside. If its starting to climb I cut it off at the root base.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:28 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,579,467 times
^Good call on not letting the dog go near it. I have actually caught poison ivy from my dog. I remember wandering where I caught it from and it dawned on me that I had taken the dog swimming and remember passing a patch near where she swam. I remember her walking near it but I guess she actually went through it since the oils rubbed off her onto my arm.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:53 PM

178 posts, read 540,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
I love it. You are my kind of pal.
I have this vivid visual of you as part of the cast roaming through the jungle in "Predator". Slow.....Quiet....Focused......Deadly.
That's right! I am the poison-ivy stalking Rambo of my neighborhood

Old 05-07-2010, 06:16 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
Round up did not work for squat for me. I used it every year a couple of times a year, for a couple of years. Tried pouring boiling water on it, I used the brush killer brush-b-gone by ortho and also another product that had that same active ingredient in it. (begins with a t?) and those worked (so far). I hate chemicals, but spouse had a serious outbreak by only touching one little leaf edge for a millisecond. Getting this is serious business!!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:38 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
I sprayed brush killer (hose end type sprayer) on it last year (2x, maybe 3x) and *so far* this year it is not coming back very strongly. I am encouraged that in a couple more years will have killed it completely!!

Eventually I will go organic in my lawn care, but - if I gotta call in the synthetics to wipe out this nasty stuff then so be it!

Old 05-12-2010, 01:49 PM

44,351 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Round Up worked fine for me. A few summers ago I had TONS of poison ivy in my hard. Never had it in the 17 years prior that I lived in my house. I guess birds or other critters planted it. I soaked the leaves (tops and bottoms), as well as the stems, with the spray. One good dousing killed it. The next year there was no sign of poison ivy, but last year I found some when it was still small. Round Up again took care of the problem. You need to be real careful, though, not to let the spray get on anything you don't want to die, including shrubs and small trees.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:12 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
We had a poison ivy vine growing really healthy climbing tree last year

This year it is all dead

How did I killed it? Well, based on the advice of a knowledgeable friend, I left it alone all last year until the winter where it dropped all its leaves. I then cut off at the based of the vine so this spring no leaves can grow. Nice & clean. No mess. No need to deal with leaves.

I still have a bit of new leaves coming up at the root, that's because I did not pull the roots up. I'll have to cut them off again and this time I'll spray it with Round Up specifically for Poison Ivy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden