U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 07:50 AM

135 posts, read 196,462 times

Advertisements

Please, landscaping and garden professionals, what can we do to get rid of this? It is in several of our beds in our yard. Thanks for your help. I'm SOO allergic to it! ! !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 07:58 AM

3,349 posts, read 7,481,958 times
Spray it?

Let me google that for you

Old 05-06-2010, 08:03 AM

869 posts, read 2,732,425 times
Ortho Poison Ivy and Brush Killer. Get the small bottle of concentrate and it will go a long way; you just mix with water and spray on the entire plant. It works better than Roundup on weeds, or any other consumer-available product I have ever bought.

We had a terrifying jungle of poison ivy that literally climbed telephone poles, trees and wires 20-30 feet high and had massive leaves......it was awful. This was in MA. I mixed the concentrate in a pump-up sprayer and shot everything I could reach. In a week the stuff was all dead, and by the end of summer it had all retreated and disappeared. Three years later and there was no visible trace of it. The roots could have still been viable, but you wouldn't know it.

Here, at our house in Cary, I got hit with a whopping dose of it last spring and would up on Prednizone for 2-3 weeks. I broke out the stuff I described above and eliminated the plants I could find. Two weeks ago I found another cluster close by and sprayed it; the plants were curled up and brown in 2 days and now there is no sign of them.

I love the stuff and highly recommend it. Good luck!

Old 05-06-2010, 08:09 AM

Oh yes, Prednizone Trying to avoid that in the month of May and forever after that. Thank you for your help.

We're hoping to deal with this in the most extreme way given my medical history. I will not be able to do anything about this, but rather my husband since I can't go near it. So, with that said, is there a way to kill it once and for all so roots don't stay "viable" as you say underground only to come back? Thanks so much! ! !

Old 05-06-2010, 08:24 AM

8,272 posts, read 22,858,526 times
Just spray it with specific poison Ivy Killer or a brush killer specifically for "woody vines". There is plenty to choose from in the various home improvement stores. It dies very quickly and easily and this is a good time to do it. It's popping up everywhere. I have to actively search it out in our yard and spray for it every year because we have a rental house behind us where no one sprays for it.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:50 AM

6,217 posts, read 14,521,319 times
We had a lot of it and just had to keep spraying it. Some came up the following year. Just keep searching and destroying.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:02 AM

36,499 posts, read 45,511,610 times
the thing with poison ivy is that it takes several different forms, vines, shrubs, little plants, etc. I even wear gloves when I garden and long sleeves but if i touch my face or anypart of my body after handling it I break out.

And don't burn the plants or roots as poison in the smoke can get the stuff in your lungs. Ask me how I know.

I have a product -sorry can't remember the name- which I put on my skin-it is very oily- which is supposed to protect me from the stuff but half the time I can't find it or forget. Be careful.

Between the ticks and poison ivy already this year I'm finding gardening to be pretty dangerous but i am addicted and will still do my best.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:16 AM

Yes, Kudzu, it is Tecnu! I used it this week after touching poison ivy by accident, and it worked. No poison ivy for me-I'm so allergic this is a MIRACLE! It is worth the investment, not too expensive, and goes a long way. Much better than seeing the doctor, and getting on prednizone, and then trying to get your system back on track. Grateful for this stuff!

Old 05-06-2010, 09:16 AM

305 posts, read 693,868 times
There's a lot of poison ivy in these parts, especially if you live in a wooded area or near a wooded area. It thrives on the edge of woods (not so much deep in the woods). I just pull it out by the roots as I don't use chemicals on my property. I avoid touching it, though. I put my hand in a plastic garbage bag (double it up if needed) and pull it up by the roots. I then flip the bag over the plant and throw the whole thing in the trash can.

Poison ivy has many methods of spreading so chances are if you have it in your yard now you'll always need to be vigilant about it. Birds and other animals eat the berries and spread the seed. The vine spreads by underground runners also. If there is more poison ivy nearby (on a neighbor's property or a forest edge) you'll need to look out for it every year.

BTW, I've read that global climate change is conducive to poison ivy growth! Apparently it likes the high ozone days like we're having today.

Technu is one of the poison ivy prevention products. Jewelweed rubbed on the skin is also supposed to prevent/lessen a poison ivy reaction. Plaintain (the plant, not the banana-like fruit) is supposed to help similarly.

hth

Old 05-06-2010, 10:17 AM

33,089 posts, read 61,934,696 times
Roundup. It's the only way.

When you go to pull up the dead plants - and you have to pull them up - wear long sleeves, long pants, long gloves. Stuff the ivy into a garbage bag, seal it, and put it somewhere where you won't have to pick it up again.

Then immediately undress in front of your washer, stuff your clothes in it, start it up, and then take a shower and scrub hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden