U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:15 AM

36,498 posts, read 45,489,802 times

Advertisements

There is a wealth of information on raised bed gardening but I am looking for plans for something about 3 or 4 feet high that won't cost an arm and leg to build and also doesn't require filling the whole thing up with soil. I don't think I need more than a foot of soil. Anybody have plans or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 10:14 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,273,608 times
I found a few links that may help - and remember, you can always fill the bottom with gravel rather than soil:

How to Make a Wheelchair/Scooter Accessible Raised Bed Garden | eHow.com

How to Make a High Raised Garden Box for the Handicapped | Garden Guides

This one has photos of a raised garden on legs, as well as a wall-type garden:

Gardening from a Wheelchair - Spinal Cord Injury - Paralysis Research Center

Old 05-11-2010, 01:39 PM

8,648 posts, read 15,622,409 times
Those links have nice boxes but would cost a lot to build....

You may want to try some large plastic flowers pots, even sitting on the ground the top can be almost 15 inches off the ground....Or you can use 5 gallon buckets....just be sure to drill a few 1/4 inch drain holes in the bottom... You can grow pretty much anything in the buckets....

Or if they are building any new homes in your area go by and ask if you can have any scrap wood..... wood has really gone up in price....

Last edited by Houston3; 05-11-2010 at 02:31 PM..

Old 05-11-2010, 08:45 PM

36,498 posts, read 45,489,802 times
everything I read says don't use pressure treated lumber cause of the chemicals in it. So I was guessing plastic would be my only alternative.
Thanks for the suggestions. Anybody else have any other ideas?

Old 05-13-2010, 08:52 AM

5,235 posts, read 7,910,500 times
I was at Lowes the other day and noticed they sell these large black mixing tubs for less than $5. They were probably 2.5 feet long and maybe 16 inches tall? They are meant for mixing cement or plaster or whatever, but if you drilled some holes in the bottom, they seem like they would make great long planters that could go on top of a low table - maybe made of cinder block and timbers?

The tubs have really large lips around them so that they could possibly hang between timbers as well?

Edit:

Just found them on the website, not sure if the link will work: (they are called * MacCourt 26" x 20" High Density Polyethylene Small Black All Purpose Tub)
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...m&rel=nofollow

Looks like they have a larger one too, for $13.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:22 PM

18,288 posts, read 21,018,854 times
OK this may seem tacky for some but I know of a couple on a very low fixed income that did this and had great bounties from their efforts. They processed the excess for the winter to eat.

Go on Freecycle ask for non working chest deep freezers. First be sure to detach the lids so no children might get locked inside one from being curious. Put cinder blocks in the bottom to raise the bottom level as high as you need it. Cut a piece of plywood or foam board to cover the entire inside area you just raised. Drill a few holes for drainage or put a layer of gravel down before putting in earth or bagged soil mixtures. Leave the drainage plug open on the freezer to drain any excess water so it won't get trapped inside of freezer. They also got some free lattice boards to cover the outside to make them look a little nicer than freezers in their yard. The lattice board could do double duty and also be used for vining plants such as cucumbers maybe? Keeping the freezers out of the landfills and repurposing to boot. I think I would drain the cooling unit of the liquid inside or is freon a gas only?

I like those cement container ideas also for handicapped that would be a big help as well.

Good luck!

Old 05-14-2010, 10:04 AM

5,081 posts, read 13,274,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
...large black mixing tubs...drilled some holes in the bottom... on top of ...cinder block and timbers...
That’s exactly what I do on my deck.
Plastic mixing tubs raised up on 2x6 boards on top of cement blocks.

I grow lettuce, carrots, radishes, and green onions in them.
I grow tomatoes in 5 gal buckets.
I grow my herbs in large flower pots.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:37 AM

8,031 posts, read 13,478,551 times
If you check some of the farm supply stores or garden centers check on some half whiskey barrels. Those are good for small gardens. Also I have seen some 30 gallon white plastic barrels at different places. If you could find some of them, buy one (or 2) and have them cut in half, from top to bottom. If you can get someone to set them up on concrete blocks to your height you'll have w nice long planters for your garden.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:47 PM

29,986 posts, read 38,266,689 times
I've also seen people elevate old bathtubs and livestock waterers for raised plant beds. Maybe you could find some from a salvage yard or from a neighbor doing a house remodel? A contractor might be willing to deliver to you rather than paying to dispose at the dump. The possibilities really are endless.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:06 AM

8,031 posts, read 13,478,551 times
No kudzu, I get emails from different garden supply sites and saw one today that may be what you could be looking for. These are grow bags.
Grow Bags | Shop Gardener's Supply
Since you want something 3 or 4 feet high, you could probably do these like I mentioned for the half barrels, having them set up on concrete blocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden