U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:28 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,717,444 times

Advertisements

Zoysiagrass looks like that when it hasn't been mowed.

best pictures I could find are here:

Zoysiagrass

Healthy Lawns—Zoysiagrass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 03:22 AM

11,512 posts, read 7,855,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
This grass goes side ways not vertical. It's impossible to pull out because the root is so entangled.

What can I do about it?
This can be stopped, but you will need a Lawn Scarifier. This pulls all the moss and turf weeds out by raking just above soil level, and hence will get rid of runners. Your lawn will look a bit rough for a while, but will benefit greatly in the long run.

P.S. Don’t over do it.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:07 PM

16,761 posts, read 42,418,451 times
It looks a lot like Bermuda grass to me. We have a lot of that here in Austin. It is a very drought tolerant grass, grows fast and will invade planters and other non-grass areas if you don't have good edging and trim it regularly. A healthy St. Augustine will usually crowd out most of the Bermuda Grass.

http://www.plantcare.com/oldSite/htt...muda_Grass.jpg

http://charamongarden.files.wordpres...uda-wars-4.jpg

http://ag.utah.gov/divisions/plant/p...rmudagrass.jpg

Old 05-15-2010, 05:48 PM

5,235 posts, read 7,918,362 times
I say mow it, and call it lawn.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:38 PM

65 posts, read 83,420 times
Default Torpedo grass

Karla with a K is correct. Unfortunatly it's torpedo grass and it is EXTREMELY hard to exterminate, the roots go way down into the soil by several feet and can take over your lawn (and spread to your neighbors lawn.)
I had new sod put in by a landscaper and it came up with torpedor grass in it. Luckily for me, I hadn't paid him yet. The owner of the landscaping company put a lien on my house because his sons (who actually put the sod down) told him the lawn was good. The owner came by my house looked at it and took the lien off that day. The owner said that the company wouldn't charge me BUT, it was up to me to get rid of.
Type "torpedo grass" on line and get the info.
Sorry. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden