U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 06:46 AM

12 posts, read 15,636 times

Advertisements

I don't even know what kind of tree it is???? Can someone help me, I think it might be diseased because the leaves have little "nuggets" on them. and the trunk is peeling bark. It stands about 50 ft. and is only 20-30ft from the house.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I take out this tree?-051200_1427-00-.jpg   Should I take out this tree?-051200_1424-00-.jpg   Should I take out this tree?-051200_1426-01-.jpg   Should I take out this tree?-051200_1425-00-.jpg   Should I take out this tree?-051200_1427-01-.jpg  

Should I take out this tree?-051200_1428-00-.jpg   Should I take out this tree?-051200_1434-00-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 07:08 AM

19 posts, read 49,767 times
What you have there is a Silver Maple. Of the three commonly grown maples around here (Silver, Red, and Sugar), Silver is the fastest growing and the most likely to split up in wind/heavy snow. I'm not saying that it's really bad for that like a Bradford Pear (yuck), it's just the least "permanent" of the three. I'm not sure about their tendency to uproot, but I've never heard of that being a notable problem. Black Locusts are terrible for that and you should never plant them near a structure. I hate to see any nice mature tree go, but let's just say that it's not considered a particularly important or rare species. Fall color is brownish-yellow, it casts a lost of shade, and like I said, they're pretty fast growing. As far as the little nuggets, I think that's just where some type of insect has laid eggs on the leaves. Not sure about it, but I don't think it will lead to the death of the tree. The bark looks OK. If you want to take it out, you could replace it with any number of great native trees that won't get so big. I personally love the Sourwood - some landscapers call it the "new dogwood". Gorgeous fall color, native (always a big plus in my book), and interesting flowers in late summer. I love talking about trees!

Old 05-13-2010, 07:34 PM

11,626 posts, read 15,255,906 times
Those are galls, ugly but I've never heard of them being harmful to trees. Leaf Galls on Maple
I took out three silver maples I had, messy tress. Always dropping twigs and branches in any kind of wind, and an ice storm really took a toll on one of them. I replaced them with a Sugar Maple and liked it much better.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:00 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,788,015 times
Most definitely a maple, the oval seed pods in the pic, they twirl around when they fall off, pretty in spring when all sorts of stuff floats around in the breeze. It looks to me like the main trunk has lost a large limb and left a big dead hole, and with the other limb going towards the house, well, I'd be inclined to have it taken down. But you can have an arborist come out and just look at it and declare it dying or whatever. I had a maple that turned red in the fall that I particularly liked, where the secondary trunk fell partly off, and he advised we could take off the rest of that fallen secondary trunk and the remaining tree would do fine. So, we hired a guy to do that, cost $500. But your dead spot is in the main trunk, and taking the whole tree out and stump would cost more. Like the other posters said, when you replant that close to the house, a couple dogwoods would do a lot better and not get very large and are beautiful in spring.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:02 AM

956 posts, read 3,663,291 times
If your concern is the health of the tree and the problems you might have with a diseased tree, not to worry. The tree is not diseased. On the other hand, silver maples are normally very low on the list of desirable trees. If it was in my yard, I'd remove it just because it is a silver maple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden