U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2010, 11:17 AM

10,432 posts, read 12,638,303 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I am wondering if it's possible to grow Phoenix canariensis in USDA hardiness zone 8. I'd like to plant one in my yard but I don't know if it's hardy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 01:03 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,558,532 times
The Canary Island Date Palm is very widely planted as an ornamental plant in warm temperate regions of the world, particularly in areas with Mediterranean climates. It can be cultivated where temperatures never fall below -10/-12 °C for extended periods, although it will require some protection if cold periods are longer than normal.

In some mediterranean and subtropical countries, P. canariensis has proven to be an invasive plant. In New Zealand, it has invaded a range of habitats. New Zealand's Landcare Research has classified the palm as a 'sleeper weed' - "a plant that spreads slowly and goes unnoticed until it becomes widespread"

Phoenix canariensis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-17-2010, 11:25 AM

1,505 posts, read 3,913,936 times
Its hard to say. While Z8 should not be cold enough to kill a CIDP outright, if the tree gets defoliated, then it takes about two years to recover. Obviously then it cannot survive in a zone were defoliation occurs every year.

Are there any CIDPs where you live that have been growing outdoors for ten years or so? If not, then it is not hardy. These palms are very commonly planted and will be found anywhere that they can grow.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:53 PM

10,432 posts, read 12,638,303 times
Yeah, I live in the Pacific Northwest and I don't really see any around here. I should assume that they are not hardy then. I see Windmill Palms, Mediterranean Fan palms and sometimes Chilean Wine Palms but no CIDPs. Too bad really, because I really like the look of this palm.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:19 AM

2,958 posts, read 11,558,532 times
The Pacific northwest is not commensurate with a Mediterranean climate.

USDA zone maps are only vaguely useful when considering what to plant. The USDA zone map is no indicator of climate, only a guide to expected winter low temperatures. It cannot be used to determine what will grow in any area and what will not. The USDA zone map is only good for determining what will die or survive winters in the area.

Many other more important measures--soil composition, rainfall, weather patterns, humidity, PH, sun/shade, and summer temps are more crucial determinants of what will or will not grow in an area.

Frankly I think the USDA zone map is just about a useful as a coloring book page.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:42 PM

1,505 posts, read 3,913,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yeah, I live in the Pacific Northwest and I don't really see any around here. I should assume that they are not hardy then. I see Windmill Palms, Mediterranean Fan palms and sometimes Chilean Wine Palms but no CIDPs. Too bad really, because I really like the look of this palm.
Maybe the path of the zone pusher is for you then. I completely understand, I have put out a CIDP this year even though there are not any in my area either. I think, perhaps too optimistically, that if I can protect it for a few years to get it established it SHOULD be hardy.

They are absolutely beautiful trees, one of my favorite palms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or