Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2010, 06:21 PM

516 posts, read 1,375,369 times

Advertisements

We are moving (hopefully settling this week on Friday!) and we need to do something to the beastly yard that we have. It's 18x13 (small!)... Our landlord is a good, good friend of ours and we are doing anything we can to make the house sellable since he is selling it once we move.. The yard has been ruined by this weird fungus stuff (it's like green and grass won't grow where it is..) so we can either:

1. dig up the yard, lay down sod (would it grow?)
2. pave the entire yard (last case scenerio for me because it would cost almost 300 dollars..) (with patio pavers)
3. pave some of the yard (with pavers) then mulch the rest and plant some flowers
4. Leave it as is
5. pave some yard, then lay down some sod in hopes it will grow

Right now, we are going to dig up the side walk that goes from fence to the yard and put in new pavers to spruce that up at least..

The last house that sold in our neighborhood doesn't have any yard, only pavers.

Thank you all soooo much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 10:22 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
If I were looking at the house I'd probably prefer a fairly large paved area or areas, mulched planting areas and just a very small patch of lawn or sod.
Something along these lines
http://www.cvwd.org/conservation/lus...ckley_fmt.jpeg
http://www.diyhomenetwork.net/deck-p...ictures-01.jpg
http://img.hgtv.com/HGTV/2008/05/01/...lds1904_lg.jpg

Old 05-15-2010, 10:34 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,303 times
maybe just cover it up and pay for the sodding later when you have a buyer who will take care of it

Old 05-16-2010, 01:37 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
The yard has been ruined by this weird fungus stuff (it's like green and grass won't grow where it is..)
Without photos it's hard to say, but here in Seattle moss (your weird fungus?) can overtake a lawn pretty quickly. Kind of a scraggly spongy stuff, it can choke out and destroy grass lawns in a couple of years if left unchecked.

There are tons of moss killing products on the market. I've never used them but you might want to visit a garden center and have a look. They do work to kill moss, but then the moss turns black and the whole yard looks pretty ugly. And the remaining grass is a long time coming back--and by then the moss has rebirthed itself and spread far and wide again outpacing the grass.

For this yard, you might do well to consider a greater preponderance of plant landscaping and mulch, with just a decorative patch of grass for esthetics. Grass is not a plant for all yards everywhere, sometimes it just will not thrive.

I hate the idea of paver stones. Personally, I would never buy a house whose property had been covered with pavement bricks. In the event that a buyer (me) wanted a bit of dirt to work with, the removal of a yard full of pavers and rehabilitating the soil would be a huge task I would not want to undertake. I would never buy a house that had a yard covered in pavers or worse yet--that ugly decorative crushed gravel. Hate it with a passion.

No to the pavers. Get rid of the green fungus-y stuff, put in some landscaping, add a patch of sod which can be easily maintained and controlled, or replaced if need be.

All yards do not have to be a carpet of grass.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:55 AM

433 posts, read 1,142,623 times
Remove it and put down fake grass. I've seen some that looks real. Added bonus-you don't have to mow it.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:30 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawk57 View Post
Remove it and put down fake grass. I've seen some that looks real. Added bonus-you don't have to mow it.
Yes, this is true, I saw some on Victory Garden and they said that lots of people were doing this in arid regions of the country where water is being rationed.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:34 PM

955 posts, read 4,087,917 times
Sounds like moss to me. there are usually 2 contributing factors, very low fertility and humidity. Many other factors play a roll - soil compaction, poor soil quality, shade, to name a few. Correct some or all of these and reseed, you should be able to grow grass.
If that's too much trouble, for a yard your size, I 2nd the suggestion of artificial turf, but bear in mind, that also requires some preparation to be succesful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden