U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 03:11 PM

476 posts, read 1,128,408 times

Advertisements

I'm starting my new garden bed this week and I'd love to see some other beds for inspiration!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 03:54 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,926,951 times
here's a few of mine
Attached Thumbnails
Garden beds - would love to see pics-img_8128.jpg   Garden beds - would love to see pics-img_8130.jpg   Garden beds - would love to see pics-img_8148.jpg   Garden beds - would love to see pics-img_8150.jpg  

Old 05-19-2010, 11:42 AM

400 posts, read 1,522,189 times
Meanieme, that is a really attractive little garden ya got there! I like the brick/pavers/whatever they're called. And who is that tied to the deck? Is s/he not to be trusted to stay in the yard? My little dogs couldn't be trusted to stick around if we didn't have a fence... they don't seem to realize how good they've got it here!

Old 05-19-2010, 02:50 PM

41,095 posts, read 15,869,831 times
I agree! Meanieme, that's a lovely garden! I was going to post a couple pics, but I don't have anything fancy....

Old 05-19-2010, 05:52 PM

35,286 posts, read 43,476,340 times
My vegetable patch is more function over beauty,sure is fun to eat all that fresh produce during the year and i know non of it came from China

Old 05-19-2010, 07:12 PM

I just went out and took a photo of my garden. Spring flowers are finished blooming, and not many summer flowers have opened yet, but here's a spot of color!

Old 05-19-2010, 07:53 PM

7,730 posts, read 12,925,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmomkris View Post
I'm starting my new garden bed this week and I'd love to see some other beds for inspiration!
What kind of garden? Are you doing flowers? This is my latest bed. I just RoundUp the grass, spread newspaper and cover with something organic. This one has pine shavings and horse manure. The plantings were direct sown seeds.

I gave my perennial bed a proper entrance. The arbor has clematis, a climbing rose, and Carolina Jasmine.

I like small beds/borders too. I pack the plants in and use leaves as mulch.

What it looked like just a little over a year ago.

I like to mix all kinds of plants in my beds. If you purchase plants, go buy something every couple of weeks in bloom. You'll be getting perennials that will bloom again next year, about every two weeks. It's a great way to keep the blooms coming all summer long.

Early spring blues and pinks turn to orange and reds with yellow highlights in summer. I collect, save, and toss seeds into the beds all the time. Even if I get only one plant, I've added something to the garden.

Three weeks ago, a bed I started last fall was in full bloom. There's a lull right now as the clover is dying and the cosmos, rudbeckia, and other seedlings have yet to show any color. It might be a while before this bed takes center stage. I'm growing it all from seed, direct sown.

I've left the grass between the beds. I have sweeping curves and tight corners. I don't like to mow, and flowers are more interesting than lawn. All the stone I used for edging is native and was collected from my half acre of land. I like it because it seems more natural to me and my way of gardening.

I grow veggies too, in raised beds mostly. Though I did scatter some tomato seeds in the perennial bed by the driveway. I've got squash and nasturtiums in there too. This fall, cabbage will be planted as edible ornamentals. But in the summer, it's easier to grow things that need water in the same place. The soil is a mixture of last fall's leaves, native red clay, and horse manure mixed with pine shavings.

The most important thing is good soil when starting a new bed. I can't stress that enough. It needs to be light and airy with good drainage and water holding capabilities. Be sure to drive around town and see what others in your area are growing. Do they have it planted in full sun or part shade? Is it on a slope or in a sunken area? These are clues as to the conditions needed. Sloping beds have very sharp drainage. Water can pool in low lying areas. Slopes with full sun will dry out quickly. Shady spots with heavy clay can hold water and cause root rot.

Plants that are happy in their location reward you.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:57 PM

Lovely, Paperhouse!

Old 05-23-2010, 11:34 PM

15,927 posts, read 7,327,965 times
Very nice Meanieme, jambo, PJ, & Paperhouse!!!

Here's a part of my own little breezeway!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:20 AM

10 posts, read 57,597 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or