U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:05 AM

36,499 posts, read 45,504,949 times

Advertisements

J&Em- I'll admit it here. I actually have gone into grief counselling over leaving gardens behind. They contained so much love, effort, memories not to mention buried beloved pets. I started my last garden here in Chapel Hill , N.C. a year ago at the age of 63 and it is getting harder and harder to have my body keep up with my imagination.

We left 3 koi ponds with 17 year old koi which were only inches long when we bougfht them and are now more than a foot long. That was so painful as we regarded them as pets. I actually looked into how we could bring them with us but DH put his foot down and now he says we can't have a koi pond in this new house. Too much maintenance. I let him win this one. Every 10 or 15 years I let him think he has some control of things!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 12:58 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,319,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
no no don't move it. there are many wonderful decorative garlics and onions.Alliums)
They are beautiful in the garden and bad smells keep deer and rabbits away. of course you can do what you want but veggie gardens are for edible plants and this is definitely not edible. well I wouldn't eat it.
Dang, I plant Garlic and two types of Onion in my Veggie garden and cilantro, I'm not sure why you would think seasonings would not be grown in a veggie garden???, things I eat and things that flavor things I eat. Oh yeah, one other thing, you can tell if they are ready to be picked (dug up) because the shoots will turn brown and wilt. I sometimes plant more Onion than I intend to let mature, so I can have chives (the onion tops) and Spring Onions, the small ones that aren't mature yet, still tasty.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:24 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,708,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
J&Em- I started my last garden here in Chapel Hill , N.C. a year ago at the age of 63 and it is getting harder and harder to have my body keep up with my imagination....

I let him win this one. Every 10 or 15 years I let him think he has some control of things!!!!

Gardens are getting harder to do, that's for sure! Smart lady to know when to "give in" now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Dang, I plant Garlic and two types of Onion in my Veggie garden and cilantro, I'm not sure why you would think seasonings would not be grown in a veggie garden???, things I eat and things that flavor things I eat. Oh yeah, one other thing, you can tell if they are ready to be picked (dug up) because the shoots will turn brown and wilt. I sometimes plant more Onion than I intend to let mature, so I can have chives (the onion tops) and Spring Onions, the small ones that aren't mature yet, still tasty.
Decorative onions and garlic are not usually tasty and a few are downright nasty from what I've heard. It seems the more they are bred to look good the less they have taste. To get the best taste and size the flower needs to be removed before developing fully, kind of defeating the purpose of having them for flowers! A few of the heirloom and less cultivated varieties probably are the best compromise if you want a pretty veggie garden and a spice! I grew chives, clipped one bunch of their flower buds, for eating and left the other for the flowers, my compromise. It's the same with decorative cabbages, edible but not the tastiest version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Well, my husband and I are pretty white and pasty, but we love being outside!
I guess that wasn't the best choice of words but some people just look like they would not know how to pick up the right end of a shovel and have a deathly fear of sunshine. This couple had that look. I think you have a lot energy to be even thinking of tackling all the things you listed! Maybe you are related to Lisa... of the off the grid house in TN fame?

Old 06-01-2010, 08:33 PM

8,249 posts, read 11,542,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Not agapanthus.

Looks like some kind of garlic to me. The leaves look like a garlic plant my neighbor gave me a few years ago. She called it "elephant garlic". The flowers were white, though.....and yours may turn white after they bloom a little better; garlics sometimes do that -- have pinkish or purplish buds but white flowers.

Dig around the base a little bit and see if there is a bulb under there. If it is, scratch and sniff! LOL Usually, garlic foliage and flowers smell garlicky also, but it seems like that elephant garlic didn't. You could try them first, though, before you dig....crush a flower or tear a leaf and sniff.

I think this is a closer call... pinch a leaf does it smel;l of garlic or onion... adn there will be your answer.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:54 PM

36,499 posts, read 45,504,949 times
Alot of "vegetables" were initially developed by the nursery industry as ornamental garden plants. a few which come to mind are ornamental kale and society garlic. I just didn't want her to think she had to move the allium just because she thought it was a vegetable. Of course I mix tomatoes and other edible plants in my ornamental beds. Why not? It's just that once peppermint knew her plant was a garlic she said it had to be moved to the veggie garden.

And we all mix herbs in our flowers. I don't cook with them so much as to keep the deer away. They usually don't like fragrant plants so most herbs are candidates for deer repellant.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:20 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,200,999 times
We aren't off-gridders, but we'd love to be! We're going to try to raise dairy and possibly meat goats, and we're hoping to get some chickens too. My husband has been tossing around the idea of pigs. I'm not sold on that yet. In the meantime, we're trying to fix up the house and figure out what's growing. It seems that there's fennel in the flower garden. At least, we think it's fennel. Seems weird to have herbs out there, but what do I know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or