U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:50 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,200,174 times

Advertisements

Here's the clematis:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o56/rhonda_mae/2010-05-19PurpleclematisinHarrisonT.jpg (broken link)

Those crazy irises are all over our property. Some are even in the pasture. Can't figure out how they got there! Some grew out of last year's leaves. Funny things, those irises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 07:31 AM

4,795 posts, read 6,981,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
. And yes I do go to the nursery and buy what I like and stand around in the garden with a shovel in one hand and the pot in the other and say.

"Ummmm now where will I put this".

LOL! Same here!

Old 06-02-2010, 07:32 AM

The clematis.....Etoile Violette, maybe?

Old 06-02-2010, 07:57 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,707,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Although I earned my living as a professional landscape designer for many years in Atlanta, I grew to hate "planned" gardens with the hired gardener kind of look. Row upon row of begonias, cockscomb, etc. Houses began to look like apartment complexes and shopping centers. It drove me to distraction and I started getting really into plant collecting. I always bought at least 3 of everything but didn't always plant them close to each other.

English cottage gardens can look messy to some but it takes quite a bit of work to get that look!

I always plant my perennials much closer than the tags say and I do so to shade out weeds. And yes I do go to the nursery and buy what I like and stand around in the garden with a shovel in one hand and the pot in the other and say.

"Ummmm now where will I put this".

I know the sun, moisture requirements of most so there is some semi plan going on. But I have been married to an engineer for more than 30 years and his obsessive planning and studying has driven me nuts. I call it analysis paralysis. I guess my garden is my own world of rebelion. It's the only thing that has some spontenaity in my life.

And I'm glad I am not the only one coveting peppermints unknown treasures. I even dreamed about it last night. I told her all the things I wanted were yucky weeds and then snuck in the night to dig them all up and take home......ahhhh I hated to wake up.

BTW I have stopped by "wild" gardens in the past and offered to divide perennials if I could take some with me. Most people are happpy to share and have somebody do the hard work for them.

Peppermint-don't move anything till fall or winter. They just won't make it in the summer except maybe iris which are almost impossible to kill. Just lay them on top of the ground and away they go.
So many similarities! Not on the landscaper background as I am purely self taught but my undergrad time included botany. My husband tends to be a line up the pencils type (research scientist) and I like a little randomness and a little clutter, especially in the garden. Spacing the plants is a luxury I have right now, but my old garden was crowded with so many plants because it seemed to cut down on weeds and allowed me to try lots of stuff without worrying about gaps when the deer found a new favorite.

I will admit the same buy the plant and then figure out where it goes kind of gardening. I have general ideas for what is needed, like low growing or partial shade or near something with strong colors, but when a plant calls to me.... The new garden is partially preplanned (we needed so many trees and shrubs so we used a landscape planner because it was included in the cost). Using the landscaper got me truckloads of soil and amendment that would have taken me years to develop, but I don't think he ever had someone actively participate in the plans and demand space for perennials be factored in. It took a few meetings for him to get that I really understood plants and what I wanted! I still changed it a bit after the fact and we left some things out for future additions. Now I have been happily coming home with some "finds" and testing out new-to-me garden situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
LOL! Same here!

Good to know I am not alone in coveting the abundance of plants. Peppermint had better watch out or there may be a sudden CD meetup in her backyard, complete with shovels to "help out." You can't be more than a couple hours away from me....just kidding.

Peppermint the Clematis is a beautiful shade of purple and probably will do OK if cut back and moved. I'd save that for later in the season, like early fall, though. My old one was transplanted twice, survived and was really getting big. Then the lawn care people we hired when DH was working long hours decided it needed to be ripped down from the trellis as part of the fall "clean up". Since they damaged roots it took another 2 years for it to look good from that, but it did come back with some tender, loving care.

Last edited by J&Em; 06-02-2010 at 08:08 AM..

Old 06-02-2010, 08:00 AM

I don't know that I'd mind too much, but I would hate to loose all my beauties to my new friends.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:02 AM

15,400 posts, read 26,281,724 times
Wow, those seed pod ARE cool looking. I might just have to plant some poppies.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Wow, those seed pod ARE cool looking. I might just have to plant some poppies.
I know, right? They're almost as cool as the flowers! Same way with Clematis seed heads.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:44 AM

7,730 posts, read 12,921,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
The clematis.....Etoile Violette, maybe?
Yep. I have the same one in my yard. It's a big one. It can grow to more than 8' tall in a year and will bloom throughout the summer.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:38 AM

So in the winter, do you prune it?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:20 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,707,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
So in the winter, do you prune it?
I don't want to advise on a plant I don't know well based on my clematis, but there is a very good article, from White Flower Farm on Clematis care for all 3 types of Clematis. It names examples for each including the Etoile Violette and when they bloom and can be cut back. Until you hear from someone with experience like Paperhouse I hope it helps!

Clematis Vine Care - Clematis Growing Info - Clematis Pruning - Clematis Vine Growing - White Flower Farm

(btw White Flower Farms is an incredible place to tour as well as get some really great plants for anyone living near CT. They used to be a couple of hours drive away for me, a friend and I made it a day by hitting several other nurseries along the way and that was the Grand Finale.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I don't know that I'd mind too much, but I would hate to loose all my beauties to my new friends.
No worries I would never really do it... (come and take plants I mean) just fun to dream about. If I ever were to come to "share" I'd be bringing stuff, too! Every real gardener I know does that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or