U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-31-2010, 09:53 AM
 
1,785 posts, read 3,096,991 times
Reputation: 3078

Advertisements

Sorry if there is an obvious answer to this - but I am a newbie at this and didn't know I had a green thumb!

I started growing 3 different tomato plants from seed. I have re-potted three times now since they are growing by leaps and bounds. It seems, if this is possible, that the soil has decreased, and in two of the pots, I can clearly see roots (?) on the surface.

Should I add more soil to the pots? Will that help or hurt the plants? I am like a first time Mom with these guys and only want the best for them! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2010, 12:35 PM
 
Location: NC, USA
7,088 posts, read 13,316,660 times
Reputation: 3987
Either replant in much larger pots, or put them outside in full sun. You can grow tomatos inside, but you'll need a pot about the size of one of those half barrels you sometimes see used as planters. If you put them outside, full sun, about a yard apart. Mulching helps. And.....you'll need stakes, at least four feet long, one foot in the ground, the rest you tie the plant to, to keep the fruit off of the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 12:45 PM
 
1,785 posts, read 3,096,991 times
Reputation: 3078
Thanks very much! I was waiting for the weather to stabilize before I put them out on the terrace full-time (Southern exposure, so strong). I will do as you say and get bigger pots for them. One of them is already 3 feet high - so I guess it's time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
74,878 posts, read 87,287,657 times
Reputation: 45440
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Thanks very much! I was waiting for the weather to stabilize before I put them out on the terrace full-time (Southern exposure, so strong). I will do as you say and get bigger pots for them. One of them is already 3 feet high - so I guess it's time.
I don't know where you live, but I think anywhere in the country can take the tomoto plants now.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 04:27 PM
 
1,785 posts, read 3,096,991 times
Reputation: 3078
It's getting better Nita - but in NY/NJ, we seem to be going through extremes such as 72 one day (and quite chilly at night) to 90 and humid the next day. I know, I know - I'm a bit protective of them. Once I get them into the bigger planter and put more stakes in, I'll be more comfortable leaving them on the terrace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 09:12 PM
 
71 posts, read 396,104 times
Reputation: 64
Hi,
I'm also growing tomato plants and thought I'd ask my question here. Are there tomato cages you can buy that will keep wild animals away or is there another method to keep birds away from the tomatoes (do birds eat tomatoes? I assume they do.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 04:34 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,366 times
Reputation: 10
Hi,
I live in Baltimore and I keep my tomato plants in my terrace and they are getting bigger and bigger day by day but the leaves are kind of not looking too healthy, I mean they are green but not with full of energy. May be its climate issue because it is too hot outside or I need to take them indoor. Oh also, started growing them as seeds in April and now its july and the plants are about 1-3 feet high. Please help.
Shawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 PM
 
Location: The Mitten
821 posts, read 1,155,869 times
Reputation: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyDaysForever View Post
Hi,
I'm also growing tomato plants and thought I'd ask my question here. Are there tomato cages you can buy that will keep wild animals away or is there another method to keep birds away from the tomatoes (do birds eat tomatoes? I assume they do.)
There are cages but birds are like mice, they can get into any space easily. A few things you can try; cheese cloth, I haven't tried this myself but it was something to keep birds away from outdoor sowing your seeds for flowers.

This one method is a little weird but it does work; I have to shave my head at least every two weeks, I save the clippings and spread them out around my garden. I hardly get any bird or critter to come in and take my veggies or seeds apart. However, birds aren't much of a nuisance, sense they're looking for worms or bugs to eat.

Quote:
Hi,
I live in Baltimore and I keep my tomato plants in my terrace and they are getting bigger and bigger day by day but the leaves are kind of not looking too healthy, I mean they are green but not with full of energy. May be its climate issue because it is too hot outside or I need to take them indoor. Oh also, started growing them as seeds in April and now its july and the plants are about 1-3 feet high. Please help.
Shawn
Usually this is a sign of too much water. Tomatoes are finicky about water, you can dump gallons of water in the pot and they will like it or hate. They like to have the control of getting the right amount of water themselves. A good way of doing this is to water from the bottom, if you have a tray underneath them. Just reduce watering them for a day or two, and just like pills, give them a daily dose.

Quote:
Sorry if there is an obvious answer to this - but I am a newbie at this and didn't know I had a green thumb!

I started growing 3 different tomato plants from seed. I have re-potted three times now since they are growing by leaps and bounds. It seems, if this is possible, that the soil has decreased, and in two of the pots, I can clearly see roots (?) on the surface.

Should I add more soil to the pots? Will that help or hurt the plants? I am like a first time Mom with these guys and only want the best for them! Thanks!
The cool thing about tomatoes is, the whole plant can be one big root. Put them in a bigger pot, if there is a next size bigger. When you place it in there, have the rim of the pot parallel to the lowest leaves on the plant. When you add soil, make the soil come up to just under the lowest leaves of the plant.

You may see more roots form above the leaves, so sometimes you can trim the leaves higher and plant it deeper. If you don't have a pot big enough, just go to the lowest leaf and plant there. If the plant starts to tip, it can grow more roots if it lays on the ground long enough.

After a while, the plant will stop trying to grow more roots. If you see bumps a long the entire plant, those are "ready-to-grow" roots. It'll eventually go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top