Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:32 PM

183 posts, read 352,051 times

Advertisements

I would be very unusual to see a mountain bluebird in SC. The usually don't range east of the great plains. Likely you saw an eastern bluebird and didn't notice or remember the orange breast or it was an indigo bunting or even a blue grosbeak. They are all very similar.

I am from Nevada too and I used to think all the birds were brown. Then I started birding. Wow, when you really look around there all all kinds of colorful birds out here. I see mountain and western bluebirds a lot, but not usually around urban areas. A few weeks ago I saw a Bullock's oriole and there is a western kingbird that loves the barbwire fence across the street from our house. I didn't even know such things existed, but they are common around here. No that I have seen them, I see others all the time.

I will admit that there are many more colorful birds back east. You could spend a long time trying to differentiate all the different species of little brown sparrows here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 03:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Interestingly, Indigo Buntings have no blue pigmentation in their feathers. They are a very intense glossy black, and their feathers have evolved a unique capacity to diffract light and reflect only the blue part of the spectrum.

http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/d...?recNum=BD0346

Here is a site with nice photos of the songbirds of South Carolina. Note that some of these do not frequent towns or gardens, and you are very unlikely to see some of them (especially the warblers) unless you spend a lot of time searching in rural areas.

http://www.neoperceptions.com/fauna/birds/scbirds/sc_perching_birds.htm (broken link)

From the home page, you can also look for other kinds of birds, besides song birds.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-03-2010 at 03:31 PM..

Old 06-03-2010, 03:49 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Wink Okay I did it :)

Okay everyone I did it !

I went and bought this : Scots Songbird Colorful Bird Food Seed " It was $ 10.00 ! But I really looked at all the selections and it's the one I wanted. It says I will attract : Cardinals . Finches , Chickadess, Grosbeaks , Buntings and More !

I bought a bird feeder. Small one. If I get lots of birds I will get a bigger one. Don't worry my car is parked pretty far away , lol...

Then I got that new OFF ! ClipOn that you wear and the mosquitos and nats won't eat you ..hehe,...

Going to set it up tomorrow

Oh as the Blue Bird that I saw , I only saw him/her from behind. I could not see the breast color of the bird. And the bird was a brigher blue like the sky. It was not a deep deep blue.

Any ideas from my description what type exactly ?

I realize my pic I posted was mountain bird...hehe...But then you must admit I live very close to the Blue Ridge Mountains I love it here !

Old 06-03-2010, 03:53 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Thank you everyone It just lit up my day to see such a beautiful bird .

Where I come from all the birds are browns and greys. Nevada...

So thank you and I will do some more research.

I live behind a small creek so I want to get one of those things thats keeps bugs and mosquitos away so I can sit there and enjoy
the Hummingbird- the sugar water is its' energy source, mosquitos, gnats, and other small insects are it's food source. Put up Hummer feeders, in a shady spot, they will help with mosquitos et al.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
the Hummingbird- the sugar water is its' energy source, mosquitos, gnats, and other small insects are it's food source. Put up Hummer feeders, in a shady spot, they will help with mosquitos et al.
Wow thank you ! I have tons of tall trees as its a forest all around me

I will get a humming bird feeder

Old 06-04-2010, 08:59 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Congratulations on being able to enjoy something besides the LBJs! (Little Brown Jobs to we birders.) You may be surprised at what comes to your feeders. Try different types of seeds. I get mine in big bags at Walmart because it's cheaper there. And I concentrate on a high sunflower seed content to bring in the cardinals. But I'm just now trying thistle to see what I get.

The main thing is to have fun with it. Just note what kind of seeds bring in what kinds of birds. And I THINK people put out houses for blue birds in nesting season.

Hummers: I boil water to a rapid boil. Then it's two parts water to one part sugar. (Sugar only - no honey.) Let it cool. Here in the desert a nice drink brings in not only hummers but woodpeckers, thrashers, finches, all kinds of lovely little guys.

As soon as they drain the misture - and I don't add food coloring, not necessary they'll find it - I bring the feeder in and clean it. Fill it full of water and add a tablespoon of PLAIN bleach. Let that sit a couple of hours and then rinse really well. Then refill and hang back outside.

I think you are going to get hooked on our little feathered friends. Get a birding guide to help identify what you see. Then keep a "Life List" of every bird you see.

Good luck and have fun!

Old 06-05-2010, 01:13 PM

Great Birdpage : Browse for a bird by name and shape, All About Birds, Cornell Lab ofOrnithology Gives you desription and bird sounds if you click on each bird.

I saw a Red Bird today ! It was all red , I have not figured out if its a Cardinal yet. Then there was another bird next to it and its had a red face and beak but its body was greys/browns.

They were in my new feeder !

Old 06-05-2010, 04:50 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Great Birdpage : Browse for a bird by name and shape, All About Birds, Cornell Lab ofOrnithology Gives you desription and bird sounds if you click on each bird.

I saw a Red Bird today ! It was all red , I have not figured out if its a Cardinal yet. Then there was another bird next to it and its had a red face and beak but its body was greys/browns.

They were in my new feeder !
Was probably a male cardinal and his wife.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Awhhhhhhhhhhhhh sweeet

Old 06-07-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Yes the Red Cardinal Husband and Wife came back 3 times today to feast on my seeds !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden