U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:30 PM

11,872 posts, read 12,785,910 times

Advertisements

I saw a blue bird in a tree the other day similar to
this :
http://www.nebraskabirds.com/backyar...bird2_male.jpg

I love South Carolina. It makes me want to sit on my awesome deck and watch the birds.

Does anyone know what type of birds I can find in the South ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 09:04 PM

36,501 posts, read 45,578,077 times
There are way too many "southern birds" to begin naming them. Find a good book with pictures and habitat or better yet join a bird watching club.

I can relate to your excitement about seeing your first blue bird. We had several bluebird houses at a previous house and lifted up the kids to see the eggs and little babies. It is one of their very happy memories about their childhood. Every spring we did that until they were big enough to open the top and peek themselves.

Wait till you see your first indigo bunting. You will flip. Try a good bird seed and you'll be surprised at all the beautiful birds you will attract----as well as squirrels---but that is another story.. and keep your cat-if you have one- inside.

Oh I just now looked at your reference link and I think that is an indigo bunting and not a blue bird. Look up bluebirds and you will see the difference.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:52 PM

41,121 posts, read 15,890,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Wait till you see your first indigo bunting. You will flip. Try a good bird seed and you'll be surprised at all the beautiful birds you will attract----as well as squirrels---but that is another story.. and keep your cat-if you have one- inside.

Oh I just now looked at your reference link and I think that is an indigo bunting and not a blue bird. Look up bluebirds and you will see the difference.
I've been in my house for 20 years, and only saw indigo buntings one time. I will never forget that day! They must have been migrating, because they spent one entire day in my yard, eating seeds off the ground underneath my feeders, and then I never saw them again. They were so beautiful - looked as though they were lit up from inside. Stunning!

WGreenville, for help with id'ing your birds, a field guide by Roger Tory Peterson would come in real handy. Enjoy your feathered friends!

Old 06-01-2010, 06:49 AM

6,778 posts, read 12,154,346 times
We have tons of bluebirds too. I live about 8 miles from the SC border. Lotsa mockingbirds, hummers, and cardinals too. Also...snakes.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:09 AM

4,807 posts, read 7,001,285 times
I just saw an indigo bunting last week in Arkansas, from the sunset point on top of Mt. Nebo. Those are some beautiful birds!

They don't live this far south year 'round, but we always hear them when we're at the cabin, and see one occasionally. They're hard to spot because they stay so high in the trees. We used to see one sitting in the top of the trees at the Cliff House in Arkansas every time we'd go for a few years in a row there. He was always singin' his little heart out. Last time, we didn't see one, but we haven't been in several years.

Lots of bluebirds here, though, and I always have a pair build in my bird house. Already had one brood raised in it this year. One year a pair kept fighting with themselves in the mirror of our car....pooping all down the side of the car door....could NOT stop them no matter what we tried....finally had to trap them and relocate them! That summer, I got to where I hated hearing bluebirds sing!

Old 06-01-2010, 09:10 AM

36,501 posts, read 45,578,077 times
so funny- once my husband kept seeing bird poop all down the drivers side of his car. Finally we caught a male bluebird fighting with the bird in the mirror. It must have been some fight cause it went on for weeks. We just enjoyed the sight and periodically would wash the car.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:41 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,332,627 times
It is a Mountain Bluebird, the normal eastern bluebird has a reddish breast, and the indigo bunting is almost electric in its' coloration. Any reasonable bookstore with either carry or can get for you...an Audubon Society Field Guide To North American Birds, Eastern Region, it will tell you more about the birds than you really wanted to know and has nice color pictures.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:03 PM

258 posts, read 1,066,064 times
Pretty birds.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:47 PM

Thank you everyone It just lit up my day to see such a beautiful bird .

Where I come from all the birds are browns and greys. Nevada...

So thank you and I will do some more research.

I live behind a small creek so I want to get one of those things thats keeps bugs and mosquitos away so I can sit there and enjoy

Old 06-02-2010, 06:54 PM

Thank you everyone

I saw a commercial for bird feed for COLORFUL birds ! I am going to buy a bag and watch the beautiful birds ~!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden