U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 08:42 AM

972 posts, read 2,189,011 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else experence a post-planting letdown? It is several months of prep, planning, purchasing and planting. And now, its all done until fall when we tackle another new bed.

I should just sit outside and enjoy, but it is sooo hard to stop. I think I need an intervention!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 08:55 AM

36,498 posts, read 45,489,802 times
Lord I can relate to needing an intervention. I am diabetic and sometimes I lose myself in the garden to the point I pass out from low blood sugar. So DH keeps a timer on him to remind me to eat cause I don't think about it till it's too late.

I don't do well in the summer months but that is when I lay out my hose for new beds in the fall and start studying new plants I want to try. I even take some notes of what worked and what didn't but by the time fall comes around I've lost my notes.

Plant collecting is a relatively harmless obsession. It sure beats drinking, gambling and running around. And we have something to show for our efforts!

Old 06-01-2010, 09:25 AM

9,431 posts, read 11,368,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
Does anyone else experence a post-planting letdown? It is several months of prep, planning, purchasing and planting. And now, its all done until fall when we tackle another new bed.

I should just sit outside and enjoy, but it is sooo hard to stop. I think I need an intervention!
Yes! It's getting too hot here to be putting anything else in (been working on these large beds for a couple of years), so I'm done for now. Today I'll water containers but that's it. Maybe I could use some of this energy to get the house in order?

Old 06-01-2010, 11:15 AM

5,254 posts, read 9,156,922 times
Quote:

No way. There are always things to do in the garden. When you sit outside, enjoying a cup of tea, think of different ways to improve your garden. Maybe a koi pond?

Old 06-01-2010, 11:20 AM

972 posts, read 2,189,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
No way. There are always things to do in the garden. When you sit outside, enjoying a cup of tea, think of different ways to improve your garden. Maybe a koi pond?
I can't STOP thinking of things to do. We are just at the point that the budget is spent, and other non-garden projects need to be done.

No koi pond with pets and kids around!!! I did install a bubble fountain a few weeks ago:

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz210/inthegarden_album/bubblefountain.jpg (broken link)
Attached Thumbnails
Post planting blues-bubble-fountain.jpg  

Last edited by msm_teacher; 06-01-2010 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: added better pic

Old 06-01-2010, 11:23 AM

7,730 posts, read 12,921,051 times
If budgets are a problem, check out wintersown.org. Start collecting containers now, and looking online for cheapseeds.com and other places that usually offer half off sales on last year's seeds. You can also find plenty of traders on certain gardenweb sites. Just look for SASBE offers of free seed for the price of a stamp and bubble envelope. Or, just send me a message in the fall and I'll send you a newbie package if you want to start wintersowing with a bang. Last year, I sent several packages of 20+ varieties of seed to many people online. All it costs is postage. I even provide the envelopes.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:34 AM

17,835 posts, read 30,393,331 times
Check with your local extension office they will often have plant sale with really really good prices.
I always say make friends with other gardeners n the neighborhood, I am always looking for folks to share my excess plants and cuttings with.

lol it has gotten to the point when folks come over they say "good on plants" !!!
lol During the peak of grapefruit season folks wouldn't come over

Old 06-02-2010, 08:49 AM

5,254 posts, read 9,156,922 times
Quote:
I can't STOP thinking of things to do. We are just at the point that the budget is spent, and other non-garden projects need to be done.
I know what you mean. I will even think about backyard/ garden projects when I am ready to fall asleep. Sometime that's when I get my best ideas.

But taking a break while taking care other duties in life is good. This way, we'll get a renewed energy when we go back to the garden!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden