U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 03:40 PM

127 posts, read 657,751 times

Advertisements

We tried a different brand of fertilizer this year- the rest is history.

After 6 days some serious brown spots have emerged. I fertilized on the same setting as usual, but got a much different result. Obviously I bare the responsibility for this, but is there anything to be done? It had been raining a lot. Is constant watering any help? It appears to not have gotten the long, but a few key areas which may have overlapped and got double treated. Not good! Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 09:02 PM

36,501 posts, read 45,608,806 times
had it rained before you fertilized or after? Most fertilizer needs to be planted on early morning dew grass to give it something to cling to and immediately watered in. I have been in trouble when I hoped for rain, it never did and I was too late watering. Did you fertilize in the heat of the day? just don't cut it too short, water well once a week if it doesn't rain and hope for the best. Depending on the type of grass you have it is too late to plant anything new- wait till fall if it doesn't recover by then.

sometimes I get brown spots at the end of rows where I tary turning around or overlap.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:24 AM

956 posts, read 3,668,817 times
no kudzu:
You're refering to fertilizer containing some type of pesticide, typically broadleaf weed control, but also mixing two seperate sets of instructions. Fertilizer with weed control is applied to damp lawns so that it sticks to the plants, it should not be watered in. Fertilizer by itself is better applied to a dry lawn and watered in after application.
As to the original question, you can try a couple things. Water, water, water - not to the point of runoff, but keep the lawn wet. Another help is to apply ground charcoal to the places burned by the fertilizer. If the lawn doesn't eventually come back, you may have to scratch up the brown areas and reseed.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:50 AM

18,772 posts, read 56,651,506 times
Drench. Gypsum might help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or