U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:17 AM

30,474 posts, read 20,704,699 times

Advertisements

at night in parts of oklahoma, you can see tiny little glittering red things glittering along the side of the road- they're actually wolf spider eyes reflecting in the headlights.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 03:21 PM

41,089 posts, read 15,862,367 times
OMG - Now THAT'S scary! I've got goosebumps now!

Old 06-04-2010, 03:57 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,970,005 times
Actually we don't mind the odd resident or two of wolfies living in the house, figure they help keep the other riff-raff at bay.

When I do remove one to the outside, always wonder if I've just broken up a mate. .. must google that .. see if they mate for life or not ..

Old 06-04-2010, 06:51 PM

19,023 posts, read 22,884,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Yes, the woman who lost her breast was indeed bitten by a brown recluse.

Any detail on that? i was bitten 8 times by 1 brown recluse. A very nasty buisiness..
.................................................. ...............................................
These wolf spiders are harmless, and do good work 'Hunting'. Leave them be.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:53 PM

19,023 posts, read 22,884,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
OMG - Now THAT'S scary! I've got goosebumps now!
Come now, you know that face is just too cute....

Old 06-04-2010, 07:26 PM

2,914 posts, read 4,752,969 times
Not so much mosquito eaters. That's the dragonfly's lifelong occupation. But they do eat a lot of crickets. Now, I know what you're thinking: Aaaahhhh, the sound of crickets...! Yeah, no. We all know those nights, trying to get to sleep but that one cricket, that one cricket, that ONE CRICKET!

Old 06-04-2010, 08:06 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,709,676 times
I've been keeping my eyes out for the brown recluse because that does have a very nasty bite, but so far its been "just" the Black Widows around here. Their messy webs usually give them away. We had several wolf spiders as well as some other really big (but not hurtful to humans)spiders at our old home, and I loved that they took care of the bad insects!! It's terrific that you spared your wolf spider dmarie.

Uggabugga that picture is incredible, it makes the spider look nearly cuddly. LOL

Old 06-04-2010, 08:11 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,286,419 times
OoOoh...I just let one of those go off my back porch. BIG ASS spider. Do they eat cockaroaches?! I hope so.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:41 PM

3,458 posts, read 10,388,688 times
I have a ton of them. If I take a hose and water right next to the foundation of my house at dusk, I can usually find 5-6 climbing up the foundation to get out of the spray...
Now that I think about it, I can not remember the last time I heard a cricket! And I HATE crickets. I've had to sleep with ear plugs before cuz of the little buggars!

I just wish they would take out the scorpions! Came across two scorpions in the last week! YUCK! They give me the heebie's! Had a coworker get stung at the office by a scorpion on Thursday... he had to go the ER cuz of an allergic reaction.

Seems I've lived here for 4 years (San Antonio) and I've never seen scorpions this frequently before. I had a problem with them last summer, and this summer it seems they are taking over! Weird cuz I never even saw one the first two years I lived here. Maybe being more aware of them makes me actually see them more. I am borderline paranoid.

I constantly am on the lookout!

Old 06-05-2010, 04:48 PM

8,648 posts, read 15,628,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I have a ton of them. If I take a hose and water right next to the foundation of my house at dusk, I can usually find 5-6 climbing up the foundation to get out of the spray...
Now that I think about it, I can not remember the last time I heard a cricket! And I HATE crickets. I've had to sleep with ear plugs before cuz of the little buggars!

I just wish they would take out the scorpions! Came across two scorpions in the last week! YUCK! They give me the heebie's! Had a coworker get stung at the office by a scorpion on Thursday... he had to go the ER cuz of an allergic reaction.

Seems I've lived here for 4 years (San Antonio) and I've never seen scorpions this frequently before. I had a problem with them last summer, and this summer it seems they are taking over! Weird cuz I never even saw one the first two years I lived here. Maybe being more aware of them makes me actually see them more. I am borderline paranoid.

I constantly am on the lookout!
Or being watched......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden