U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 09:50 AM

1,505 posts, read 3,914,184 times

Advertisements

Stage 1: You get a couple of indoor palms, they look nice and they are easy to grow.

Stage 2: One day you realize that what would really make your patio look good would be a few palms. You figure that you can grow them outside in pots on the patio during the summer and bring them in with your house plants during the winter.

Stage 3: These patio palms are really awesome, but now you want some palms planted in the ground. So you get some hardy palms like Windmills, Mediterraneans, and the like.

Stage 4: You really like these outdoor palms, but you really want some bigger palms, some REAL palms. So you get some Washingtonias and maybe a Sabal or two (or two dozen).

Stage 5: Your lawn is really starting to look awesome now and the neighbors are starting to notice. But you're not satisfied. All your palms are fan palms, you need some feather palms to really achieve that tropical look. So you get some Pindo palms, a couple of Queens, and maybe a Canary Island Date Palm or two.

Stage 6: Your lawn looks like something from the south Pacific and your neighbors are planning an intervention, meanwhile you are ordering the latest exotic hybrid from a palm grower in South America. You are certain that there simply must be a hybrid that is relatively hardy and looks like a coconut palm.

Stage 7: You find yourself going outside in your pajamas every half hour on the coldest night of the year to make sure the heaters are still working in your palm boxes. As you tread through six inches of snow in your sandals, you realize that you might have a problem.

Last edited by Lucidus; 06-05-2010 at 10:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 10:22 AM

9,431 posts, read 11,362,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Stage 1: You get a couple of indoor palms, they look nice and they are easy to grow.

Stage 2: One day you realize that what would really make your patio look good would be a few palms. You figure that you can grow them outside in pots on the patio during the summer and bring them in with your house plants during the winter.

Stage 3: These patio palms are really awesome, but now you want some palms planted in the ground. So you get some hardy palms like Windmills, Mediterraneans, and the like.

Stage 4: You really like these outdoor palms, but you really want some bigger palms, some REAL palms. So you get some Washingtonias and maybe a Sabal or two (or two dozen).

Stage 5: Your lawn is really starting to look awesome now and the neighbors are starting to notice. But you're not satisfied. All your palms are fan palms, you need some feather palms to really achieve that tropical look. So you get some Pindo palms, a couple of Queens, and maybe a Canary Island Date Palm or two.

Stage 6: Your lawn looks like something from the south Pacific and your neighbors are planning an intervention, meanwhile you are ordering the latest exotic hybrid from a palm grower in South America. You are certain that there simply must be a hybrid that is relatively hardy and looks like a coconut palm.

Stage 7: You find yourself going outside in your pajamas every half hour on the coldest night of the year to make sure the heaters are still working in your palm boxes. As you tread through six inches of snow in your sandals, you realize that you might have a problem.
Love it. I only have 3 palms but I want more. I have a windmill in the ground that not only survived our relatively harsh winter but it stayed as green as ever and has really taken off this spring! I want more of those. I also have 2 sabal minor in pots that I'll put in the ground this coming fall.
They seem to be pushing those Pindo palms around here. How hardy are they?

Old 06-05-2010, 10:24 AM

Sounds like you're in West Texas but you still might enjoy this site Cold Hardy Palms

Old 06-05-2010, 03:09 PM

1,505 posts, read 3,914,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Love it. I only have 3 palms but I want more. I have a windmill in the ground that not only survived our relatively harsh winter but it stayed as green as ever and has really taken off this spring! I want more of those. I also have 2 sabal minor in pots that I'll put in the ground this coming fall.
They seem to be pushing those Pindo palms around here. How hardy are they?
Pindos should be fine in Dallas. You might also be interested in a Texas sabal. I had one here in Midland/Odessa and it grew fine for about ten years with no burn at all. I eventually had to cut it down because I planted it in a really bad place.

My palm collection:

2 Washingtonia filifera
2 Washingtonia robusta
4 Windmills
1 Mediterranean
1 Canary Island Date Palm
1 Mule Palm (butiagrus a hybrid of Pindo and Queen)

Recent losses

1 Texas sabal (cut down)
1 Windmill (attempted transplant because it was outgrowing its space)

Oh and a Queen, but I usually don't count it, since it grows indoors in a greenhouse. And a number of W. filifera seedlings I grew in the greenhouse. I have no idea what to do with them, but they are just so easy to grow.

No losses to cold.

Last edited by Lucidus; 06-05-2010 at 03:18 PM..

Old 06-05-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Pindos should be fine in Dallas. You might also be interested in a Texas sabal. I had one here in Midland/Odessa and it grew fine for about ten years with no burn at all. I eventually had to cut it down because I planted it in a really bad place.

My palm collection:

2 Washingtonia filifera
2 Washingtonia robusta
4 Windmills
1 Mediterranean
1 Canary Island Date Palm
1 Mule Palm (butiagrus a hybrid of Pindo and Queen)

Recent losses

1 Texas sabal (cut down)
1 Windmill (attempted transplant because it was outgrowing its space)

Oh and a Queen, but I usually don't count it, since it grows indoors in a greenhouse. And a number of W. filifera seedlings I grew in the greenhouse. I have no idea what to do with them, but they are just so easy to grow.

No losses to cold.
I found Pindos listed on that palm site I linked, said they are hardy. Great!

Old 06-08-2010, 12:55 PM

12,459 posts, read 18,033,411 times
Quote:
Its called a Mule Palm- Queen Palm X Pindo Palm.

Favored by folks in northern Florida who cannot grow Coconut Palms as its too cold- the irony.

Should do well in your parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden