Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:17 AM

44,346 posts, read 20,047,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawk57 View Post
You might want to lay landscape fabric instead of plastic because you want your soil to drain.
Good point. Gotta have drainage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 01:05 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
For a vegetable garden I wouldn't mess with plastic or landscape fabric. Once you plant your plants I'd either use newspaper for mulch or some other kind of mulch for weed control. I'd use something that will break down over time and add nutrients to the soils.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:08 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawk57 View Post
You might want to lay landscape fabric instead of plastic because you want your soil to drain.

good point, thanks.

I probably won't use them this year, just stay with my container gardening for this season.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:19 PM

433 posts, read 1,142,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
For a vegetable garden I wouldn't mess with plastic or landscape fabric. Once you plant your plants I'd either use newspaper for mulch or some other kind of mulch for weed control. I'd use something that will break down over time and add nutrients to the soils.
I find that putting down landscape fabric helps to keep certain weeds and grasses from coming up into the bed. That is helpful especially where I live. The roots of that grass can grow two feet deep. Because I have my beds next to my house I do tuck newspapers down the back of the beds, next to the house to slow down some of that nasty grasses spread.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:08 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
I have had beds where I have removed the fabric with weeds on top and if it's the cheap barriers, roots running through the fabric. A good layer of much will be more effective than fabric most of the cases I have seen, be it my own beds or for clients of mine.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:38 AM

433 posts, read 1,142,623 times
This grass can push it's way through a lot of things, even a layer of mulch. My roses are in a bed with the fabric on top of the soil (as opposed to on the bottom under the soil in the beds) and they are also mulched and I am still taking out the grass. With this grass mulch is useless!!!! It will grow on top of the mulch with no soil and attach itself to the top of the fabric as well as push it's way up through it. It still grows up the side of the house behind the beds. I stuff newspaper in that area and despite that and not getting much in the way of water it still grows. I have also used cardboard and wood under the beds for that matter. I also use the fabric to make sure the soil stays in the bottomless box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden