U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 01:42 PM

4,043 posts, read 6,421,457 times

Advertisements

I do not meant to fill this forum with geraniums-related questions, but being the novice that I am and now bent on having a few nice pots with thriving geraniums (due to a recent cross-country relocation), I have yet another question, this time about "crowding"/"closely planting" these plants.

I read that geraniums should be planted 6-12 inches apart, not too crowded, so that they can grow and get plenty of air and light through.

Yet, I noticed that many stores sell geraniums in large round pots that seem to contain not one but three geranium plants planted very closely. When you buy them from the nursery, they are full of blooms from all three plants; but once those store blooms are gone, the plants don't seem to bloom with those big round balls of flowers anymore, at least not as they were initially in the store.

Then what about the crowding? It seems to me that when crowded, geraniums have more blooms to offer and show better. But the theory says "don't do it". Can one single plant yield lots of close blooms with proper care?

What should I do to obtain that "crowded blooms" effect that is so appealing to the eye? After all, lots of large, lush blooms, one next to the other, is the only reason I even bother.

Thank you again for any insight!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 02:05 PM

517 posts, read 2,313,097 times
My best guess is that with so many plants crowded together, they are not only becoming root bound quicker but also using up the nutrients in the soil faster. With annuals, the garden centers aren't going for long term looks anyway. That's why they're not following the usual directions of planting distances.

With houseplants in containers, you usually need to go up a pot size every year, plus you should fertilize at least once or twice as well. That might do the trick in terms of getting blooms again. If not, then I would try planting different varieties of plants together to get that fuller look.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden