U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 02:33 PM

41,050 posts, read 15,836,752 times

Advertisements

Don't forget the marigolds!

With marigolds and zinnias, it's very easy to harvest the seeds at the end of the season and plant them next spring. As soon as the flower heads wither and dry, you've got seeds!

I've found euonymous ("burning bush") to be a very low-maintenance, fast-growing shrub. I live in NW Indiana; don't know how euonymous does in other climates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 06:13 AM

7,136 posts, read 11,280,915 times
Autumn Joy Sedum does very well and requires very little care. In Ohio it's called Live Forever.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:48 PM

36 posts, read 125,950 times
How about Abellia (spell?)? Some of them are evergreen in zone 7. It has nice fragrant (pink or white) flowers and gets quite tall (6-8 feet). Once established, it doesn't require whole lot of watering.

Also consider Loropetulum (Chinese Fringe flower). Nice neon pink flowers on airy branches with burgundy leaves. It is fast growing and can grow up to 12 feet tall. Very low maintenance. It can be used as a screen/ hedge since it is evergreen (or ever-burgundy) in zone 7. It flowers several times a year depending on the weather.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:27 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,705,928 times
All the recommendations in the world won't pan out unless we have a clue as to where you live. There is a big difference in where something will survive, thrive or die. As Inthesierras already said there are big differences in normal rainfall from region to region, and even sometimes within a region. There are plants I had in my old garden that can't grow in the new one and the opposite as well and all I did is move 800 or so miles south!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:03 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,315,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
Salvia, lantana, rosemary, esperanza, pride of Barbados, vitex, Crape Myrtle, Oleander. Zone 7, 8.
Dang, I haven't seen "Pride of Barbados" since I left W. Africa.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:23 AM

134 posts, read 460,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
All the recommendations in the world won't pan out unless we have a clue as to where you live. There is a big difference in where something will survive, thrive or die. As Inthesierras already said there are big differences in normal rainfall from region to region, and even sometimes within a region. There are plants I had in my old garden that can't grow in the new one and the opposite as well and all I did is move 800 or so miles south!
Strongly agree with the above statement.
It came as a big surprise when we move to metro Phoenix how much and beautiful the scrubs, groundcovers, perennials and even trees are here with little water.
We have Bougainvillea, lantana, Sage, Verbena rosemary, cacti (golden barrel) fairy Duster, Red Bird Of Paradise, Ice Plant .. and they come with different colors - Bougainvillea are plentiful here (but it is bad to grow them near a pool Lots of cleaning to do). I like the rows of hybrid Palo Verdi grown in the neighborhood. When they are in bloom - reminds me of the Cherry Blossom - except it looks like carpet of brilliant yellows.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:07 AM

812 posts, read 1,694,811 times
We love our lorapetulum/Chinese Witch Hazel! All of them have thrives except for the one my dog fancies!

Burning bush has done well in both Pittsburgh Pa and Hickory, NC for us...

Any of the plants can be affordable if you buy them small enough and are willing to WAIT!

Have enjoyed good success with our Smoke Bushes here too!

Old 06-21-2010, 03:15 PM

40 posts, read 103,269 times
Lantana ... Low water / high heat / full sun ... Grows / spreads & Blooms like a champ in Houston

Old 06-25-2010, 11:45 PM

70 posts, read 149,625 times
Just chiming in to suggest Vinca. For me, vinca always does well in full sun and high heat. It also seems to take the least amount of water in my garden.

It comes in many different colors too!

Old 06-26-2010, 04:50 AM

74,859 posts, read 87,274,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Wow, really? I haven't found that to be the case in my yard. My zinnias have always required a good bit of water. Wonder why the difference.
ours also. That is one reason I stopped planting them when we lived in Albuquerque. It just seemed they didn't do as well as they did other places with at least rain. We had good luck with 4 o'clocks in New Mexico. They needed a little water, but not much.

OP, for a plant, what about Oleander? Of course I don't know how cold your winters are.
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or