U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 05:04 AM

7,490 posts, read 6,673,612 times

Advertisements

I don't know where you live, so a specific answer is tough, but I am the cheapest landscaper I know, and this is what I did for my yard.

I walked around the neighborhood to see what was attractive to me, and quietly picked off leaves of those I liked that were within reach of the walkway. If they were not, I just made a mental note.

A quick trip to the local nursery is a great way to identify the plant/shrub/tree. Another advantage there is that you can make friends with the persons there.

In the Fall, when the nurseries have their best sales -- and it is a better time for planting, anyway, buy the biggest plant you can afford ON SALE. If your plant is not on sale, walk around the neighborhoods again, and this time pick seed pods. Poke them in starter pots with labels, and once you have a viable starter plant, put it in the ground when the local gardeners are planting. It's also a good idea to network with local gardeners, for seed (or starter) exchanges, if you have the time.

About 70% of my yard is planted with seedlings I started from seeds harvested from yards and local parks, or from nature. I am frequently complimented on my yard.

Best wishes in your efforts, how ever they are expended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 06:21 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,089,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ours also. That is one reason I stopped planting them when we lived in Albuquerque. It just seemed they didn't do as well as they did other places with at least rain. We had good luck with 4 o'clocks in New Mexico. They needed a little water, but not much.

OP, for a plant, what about Oleander? Of course I don't know how cold your winters are.
Nita
I think Oleander is beautiful, but if you consider planting it please consider pets and children first. Oleander is one of the most poisonous garden plants you can decorate with. If you do not have concerns with your own family, assure that it is not to be placed where neighborhood children or pets will be exposed. Should all that consideration weigh out...it grows fast, can be used not only for the beauty but since it grows quickly, in full sun without much care, you can utilize it for visionary blocks of areas you are trying to hide, or keep it trimmed nice and neat for an ornamental item. Trimming will be your biggest need, unless you want it big. They really are pretty!

Old 06-26-2010, 09:00 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,327,361 times
Well, one attractive and well growing plant (herb) that is quite hardy and you could actually make a hedge out of it if you wished (did I mention fragrant?) is Rosemary-- full sun.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:38 AM

74,990 posts, read 87,429,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
I think Oleander is beautiful, but if you consider planting it please consider pets and children first. Oleander is one of the most poisonous garden plants you can decorate with. If you do not have concerns with your own family, assure that it is not to be placed where neighborhood children or pets will be exposed. Should all that consideration weigh out...it grows fast, can be used not only for the beauty but since it grows quickly, in full sun without much care, you can utilize it for visionary blocks of areas you are trying to hide, or keep it trimmed nice and neat for an ornamental item. Trimming will be your biggest need, unless you want it big. They really are pretty!
That's true, being raised in California and having them grow almost sild I forget they are poisinous to kids and pets. We have never had a pet touch one and our dog is pretty stupid, but I am sure it happens.

Nita

Old 06-26-2010, 09:39 AM

74,990 posts, read 87,429,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well, one attractive and well growing plant (herb) that is quite hardy and you could actually make a hedge out of it if you wished (did I mention fragrant?) is Rosemary-- full sun.
so are you telling me, my little rosemary plant in a pot, in the yard will end up as a bush if I don't watch out? That can be said about mint, another herb that almost can not be stopped and needs very little water.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or