Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 03:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

We bought our house last fall, and the previous owner had landscaped two small beds flanking the front steps and bordering the porch with black cedar bark mulch around some boxwoods and ornamental shrubs. This spring and summer, we've been focusing on other things related to maintaining an early 1900s home, and vegetable gardening in the back, and didn't pay a ton of attention to the front yard landscaping. As a person who has rented for years, and previous to that, grew up on a farm where decorative landscaping was at a minimum, I have no experience with mulch.

I've now turned my attention to the front yard, and I've noticed that a lot of weeds have grown through the mulch...mostly dandelions and lamb's quarters, along with a few tiny rogue maples that have sprung from whirligigs off a nearby tree. I suspect he (seller) did the landscaping on the cheap...doesn't appear to have put down any black plastic or landscaping fabric, first, nor is there any sort of border separating the edges of the mulched beds from the lawn...no pavers, no edging at all. Consequently, grass and clover has also encroached upon the mulched area, and is taking over.

I got replacement mulch over the weekend to top off the existing mulch, which is somewhat faded, and I've gone through and weeded and dug out all the big weeds, but what about the places where the grass and clover is encroaching? Can I just lay the mulch down and choke it out, or do I need to pull all that up, too? I'm assuming chemicals like roundup can't be used without it being to the detriment of the existing shrubs that are there? I'm not likely to remove all the existing mulch to put down the barrier that never got put down in the first place, but what do I need to do in regard to the encroaching grass and clover? Bury it, or dig it out? Appreciate the help, as this is new to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 03:46 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
It takes a very thick layer of mulch to smother weeds, at least six inches. And although mulch is a good discouragement to weed growth, it will not stop some weeds from popping up anyway. Mulch needs to be replenished every year or so to remain at an effective depth.

Grasses, especially bent grasses like bermuda and St. Augustine which grow by underground stolons, are extremely invasive. They will creep into flower beds and shrub borders, under mulch and edging, and anywhere else they please. To keep a neat border between your yard and the mulched beds you will need to go through every so often with a shovel or other edging tool and dig along the edges of the lawn to keep the grass from sneaking away.

Even with good gardening techniques and mulch, some periodic maintenance is required for any kind of landscape to get rid of unwanted weeds, tame invasive plants, and maintain a well groomed appearance.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:14 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,320,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
It takes a very thick layer of mulch to smother weeds, at least six inches. And although mulch is a good discouragement to weed growth, it will not stop some weeds from popping up anyway. Mulch needs to be replenished every year or so to remain at an effective depth.

Even with good gardening techniques and mulch, some periodic maintenance is required for any kind of landscape to get rid of unwanted weeds, tame invasive plants, and maintain a well groomed appearance.
Totally agree-even with a good amount of mulch plus plant cover there is always maintenance-debugging-decrittering/weeding to be done.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:40 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
Unfortunately all true. Be aware too that too much mulch left alone can sort of become an impenetrable barrier to moisture - you really need to sort of moosh it around periodically and keep it loosened up. Mulch in general will soak up a lot of moisture and hold on to it - good and bad. Bad if you don't water enough to also soak the ground underneath it, good in that if you do manage to get everything nice and soaked you then don't have to water as much.
The large deep 'moat' (without water) between lawn and bed is probably the best thing to keep grass from encroaching.
Be thankful they didn't use landscape fabric. All that happens is that eventually weeds start growing in the mulch and the tougher ones through the fabric and then you go nuts trying to weed all that without disturbing the fabric which will eventually pull up and show through the mulchand become unsightly. Under say rocks, its not such a bad thing.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:42 PM

Yeah, regular maintenance is assumed. So you're saying I CAN put the mulch down over the top of the shorter grass/clover that's grown in? All the big, noxious stuff, dandelions, etc. is stuff I've taken out already.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:03 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times
What I'll do sometimes when I want to mulch over a section of grass is lay some newspaper (1 or 2 sheets) down over the grass and then put the mulch on top of that. The paper helps kill the grass but it decomposes pretty quickly under the mulch.

If it's just a small amount, I'd yank the grass up and put down the mulch directly.

Agree that the moat is the best way to separate beds, but creepers will grow into that as well.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:31 PM

Awesome, putting down paper seems like it will fit the bill really well for something like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden