Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:02 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,011 times

Advertisements

No, but I've been told I look like Puerto Rican actress Lauren Velez.

So guess I look Puerto Rican?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 07:40 PM

27 posts, read 90,118 times
Most people mistake me for either Puerto Rican/Black, Dominican/Black or just straight up Dominican. I cannot count how many times I've had people walk up to me and talk to me in Spanish. But I don't mind because I speak it and like to practice.

In actuality, I am mixed with Black, Irish and Native American. Most people think I'm mixed with Latina because I have light tan skin (I get a bit darker in the summer) and look mixed (facial feature wise), It's weird but I've never had someone assume I'm 100% Black. There are ignorant people who see my hair and immediately think, long hair = Latina or mixed .

I wish people would get rid of their stereotypical preconceived notions of how members of a nationality, race or ethnicity "should" look.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:01 PM

897 posts, read 1,591,452 times
I've been called hispanic (Mexican, Peruvian, Venezuelan), native American, Armenian, half black, Indian, Samoan (that's the one I get the most lately and it's probably because of my weight) and even Korean.

I don't know HOW Korean got in there but someone actually thought I was Korean. Maybe I was sleepy that day.

I had a classmate who was from the American Samoan islands and she seemed offended when I told her that people call me Samoan.

I once had a Mexican woman get offended when I told her that I preferred not revealing where I was born and asked her to just call me by my name. This was when I was working in a restaurant and most of the workers there were Mexican and I noticed that, when they found out that you weren't Mexican, you got treated differently so I didn't reveal where I was from and it became kind of a game to guess where I was from. That's where all the different Latin American guesses came from. The guys in the kitchen thought that my Spanish was different because I grew up here in the US.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:07 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times
I meant those people, who have never been in Germany and don't speak the language and have never eaten a German dish.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:22 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xqnzchickx View Post
Most people mistake me for either Puerto Rican/Black, Dominican/Black or just straight up Dominican. I cannot count how many times I've had people walk up to me and talk to me in Spanish. But I don't mind because I speak it and like to practice.
You can't be Puerto Rican/Black or Dominican/Black, because there are African descendants - Black people - in both countries. You can be part African American or American black and Puerto Rican or Dominican, though.
Quote:

In actuality, I am mixed with Black, Irish and Native American. Most people think I'm mixed with Latina because I have light tan skin (I get a bit darker in the summer) and look mixed (facial feature wise), It's weird but I've never had someone assume I'm 100% Black. There are ignorant people who see my hair and immediately think, long hair = Latina or mixed .
Since Latinas and Latinos come in all races, you can't be "mixed with Latina" either. My Latina mom has ancestors who come from four continents. Any person on earth can look Latino.

Quote:
I wish people would get rid of their stereotypical preconceived notions of how members of a nationality, race or ethnicity "should" look.

Yeah, me too.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:43 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
I find it interesting that the Census Bureau counts people of Middle Eastern or North African descent as White. How many people actually believe that Middle Easterners and North Africans are white? We almost always believe that only European Americans can be white, but apparently that's not the case.

Source (http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/meta/long_68178.htm - broken link)

Yeah, that one is a little odd. I can see it making sense for Armenians, Lebanese and maybe some Persians, Turks or Tunisians that would identify as such but I would think that the typical Arab would fall in better with the Asian option. I guess since they're such a small percentage of our population it doesn't really misrepresent anything too drastically like when Hispanics of clearly non-white descent are almost always counted as whites for FBI crime stats.

For me I used to get Bosnian a lot, as there are a lot of them that moved here in high school. I'm just darker than the average white person and didn't talk much, so they thought I didn't speak English, haha. I get Italian most often, a lot of people just assume I am. Other than that, Spanish, Mexican, Argentine, Jewish and once Iranian. Pretty much all of my ancestry comes from the British Isles, namely Wales.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:45 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Since Latinas and Latinos come in all races, you can't be "mixed with Latina" either. My Latina mom has ancestors who come from four continents. Any person on earth can look Latino.

I was at a store a few years ago and a guy was talking to the dude behind the checkout counter who was Mexican and very light complected. He said "Yeah, you must have a lot of Spanish blood in you"

"No, I'm full-blooded Mexican"

Old 06-30-2010, 12:02 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,196,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
German-American is its own unique cultural identity!
Well its a very rich and historic cultural identity that's been making numerous contributions here in America since 1683.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:32 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
People usually assume I am Irish, probably because I have reddish-brown hair and freckles. I guess that's the Irish stereotype.

My sister is doing our geneaology and discovered that my great-great-grandmother, who came here from England, was born in Ireland. That's the first we knew of any Irish ancestry at all.

Most of my ancestors came from The Netherlands. We aren't blonde and blue-eyed either, so there goes that stereotype, too.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:58 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,066 times
Some say I look Dominican, or half black/half asian. I have had an older Indian gentleman say that I looked like his daughter. I don't know if that means I look Indian, or just have similar features as her.

Lots of people on my maternal side look part asian, lol! Don't know where it came from though. Maybe it is just a random genetic attribute.

Oh, I am a black American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy