Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 01:09 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,502 times

Advertisements

"All the time"
Mostly people think I'm what they are.
Brown skin, brown eyes, brown/gray hair, sharp features.
handsome as hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 12:56 PM

749 posts, read 855,543 times
I've been mistaken for Irish, Russian, Swiss, once I was even told I sounded Korean over the phone. I'm actually Portuguese.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:41 AM

393 posts, read 359,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
I hope this thread is okay for this forum.

Anyway, are you ever mistaken for a race/ethnicity/ancestry that you are not?

I'm 75% Scandinavian (Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, & Finnish) and 25% French. Unlike most Scandinavians, I have dark brown hair, dark brown eyes, and an olive skin tone. Apparently, being one-quarter French was enough to give me all those features. Then again, it shouldn't be surprising because dark hair, dark eyes, and olive skin, are dominant to light hair, light eyes, and "paper white" skin.

In tenth grade (I'm going to be in twelfth this year), I was in a special education class. This one guy would refuse to believe that I was white, and it really got on my nerves. Even after I told him my ancestries, he would still refuse to believe that I was white. He said that I was Mexican, so I'm assuming he thinks I'm Mestizo. I'm not Mestizo. Heck, I still could be Mexican though. Not all Mexicans are dark-skinned, dark-eyed, dark-haired Mestizos. There are Mexicans of European descent. But guess what? I'm not Mexican; I'm American. I'm a European American of Scandinavian and French ancestry.

A girl also said that I looked Puerto Rican, which is understandable. Most Puerto Ricans are of European descent, mostly Spanish. I'm a quarter French, and France borders Spain. Lots of Spaniards are olive skinned, brown-eyed, and dark-haired. But I'm still not Puerto Rican.

*sighs*

What about you?
People think I am hispanic quite frequently, which is odd because there is none of that in my DNA, while I even have a bit of eskimo from somewhere.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
They perceive themselves as white and identify with whites. Isn't that all that matters?
Not to the "stormfront" types. You should see their panicky discussions, if you can get into their boards.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:05 PM

56 posts, read 45,476 times
I got stopped in Texas one day, and the cop asked me: are you Korean, White or what?
I am 61% white, 20% native american and 19% (asian, middle eastern, etc)
:-)

Old 11-29-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
I find it interesting that the Census Bureau counts people of Middle Eastern or North African descent as White. How many people actually believe that Middle Easterners and North Africans are white? We almost always believe that only European Americans can be white, but apparently that's not the case.

Source (http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/meta/long_68178.htm - broken link)
Because a lot of North Africa = arabs, who are considered white esp. if they were originally from the caucasus region...

Old 11-29-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
"Jewish" isn't a race either.

Doesn't keep people from thinking I "look" Jewish.
it is considered an ethnicity though

race isn't a scientific concept at all

Old 11-29-2015, 01:11 PM

56 posts, read 45,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicturtle View Post
Because a lot of North Africa = arabs, who are considered white esp. if they were originally from the caucasus region...
That is not true. When I was in College, 10 of our classmates were from Saudi Arabia, and they were as black as Mike Tyson.
That's why the new Census form will not longer consider Middle Eastern and North Africans as whites, they need to fill a different box, asking for their particular race.

Last edited by Altair230; 11-29-2015 at 01:50 PM..

Old 11-29-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
I get a chuckle out of this one- my father is German (Jewish), Cherokee, Lenape and Muscogee... I know this because I traced the family tree and was surprised by what we really are since my dad has always been such a white racist though technically he's not all that "white". He also stays dark year round. The funny thing though is he is very anti-Mexican-- yet he looks like the average Mexican man I saw on a daily basis in the Southwest. Not only in facial features but in the common dresscode & mustache of Mexican immigrants. lol
I am sorry, but it makes me giggle when racists turn out to be Jewish. This is happening a lot in Poland, where people hid their background after WW2. NYT did a story about 5 years ago about all these Polish white supremacists who were finding out that they were actually Jews and even had family murdered during WW2.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:14 AM

82 posts, read 65,286 times
I´m Portuguese. Generally, Portuguese/Spanish/French recognize me as portuguese. British people think im Italian (or French), Americans think im Italian, Germans think i´m Turk/Maghreb and Hispanics think im Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy