Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2020, 02:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

All the time. My last name sounds Italian, so everyone says "oh, you are Italian?" and I have to say "No, it's Portuguese." (100%)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2020, 05:51 PM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
My other brother was an actor in New York. For some reason, he kept being cast in traveling productions of Neil Simon plays such as Biloxi Blues, et al.

Toward the end of one tour, the cast was all hanging out and they started throwing around Yiddish terms. My brother laughed along, not knowing what the hell they were talking about. Finally, one of them caught on and said, "Oh, come on. You know what that means."
"Uh, no."
"But how can you be Jewish and not know that?"
"I'm not Jewish. I'm a Methodist from Alabama."

My brother said he could have knocked them over with a feather.
Dumb question, but have you taken a DNA test to see if you have any Jewish ancestry?

I ask because my family has some that we did now about. My uncle was dating his future wife. After a few dates she admitted that she liked his Yankee Jewish sense of humor and intelligence My uncle laughed and told her he was not Jewish, she looked at him with a smile, and said, "OK, if you say so."

DNA test came back 15 years later...............uncle is 20% Jewish. His wife said...."I told you so!"

Old 11-06-2020, 01:42 AM

339 posts, read 148,657 times
I'm pale, have red hair and look like my Creole Mom. I have seen pictures of my Grandfather (Mom's Dad) I look amazingly a lot like him. More than my Mom does. My Grandfather was from the Bayou of Louisiana!
My Mom's side is French Creole, Acadian (from Nova Scotia, Canada before they were booted out for not pledging their allegiance to the Queen) African from Liberia, Sudan, Ghana etc.

However, I have seen pictures of my Great Grandmother on my Dad's side. I look pretty much like her except she had dark brown hair. She was from Scotland. My Dad's side is from Scotland, England, France and a little bit of German!

I look white but I am Mixed with Creole from my Bio Dad!

Last edited by FierceKaia; 11-06-2020 at 01:44 AM.. Reason: adding info

Old 11-06-2020, 07:31 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
My son is half Asian, we live on the Mexican Border

Old 11-06-2020, 09:15 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Dumb question, but have you taken a DNA test to see if you have any Jewish ancestry?

I ask because my family has some that we did now about. My uncle was dating his future wife. After a few dates she admitted that she liked his Yankee Jewish sense of humor and intelligence My uncle laughed and told her he was not Jewish, she looked at him with a smile, and said, "OK, if you say so."

DNA test came back 15 years later...............uncle is 20% Jewish. His wife said...."I told you so!"
Agree, they should take a test to find out one way or the other. I was sure MIL #2 was Jewish, her name was a Jewish one, plus her nose looked like a Jewish person's nose. She also wouldn't talk about living in Germany before she came in the late 40's.

My daughter has more Jewish then I do, I was convinced it came from her. Her DNA test shows no Jewish at all. I guess it comes from her father.

I found out after the test that she living in a displaced person's camp in Germany where there wasn't enough food. I don't know anything else because she refused to talk about it before she passed. I just hope her daughter got any questions she had answered.

Old 11-21-2020, 12:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsura View Post
I complained a foreigner about Brazil. He always put a black women in thumbail vídeos when talk about Brazil in YouTube. Stereotype "Brazilian women are Black" i say that Brazil is a multirracial country/stupid stereotype ( in the Facebook of channel owner). He say that you are not "white". You look like half indigenous and European ancestry"

Half indigenous? I don't see any indigenous traits in my face. Europeans fail in ethnic groups
Also, my son's fiancee is Brazilian and she's as white as a sheet. Zero evidence of African ancestry.

I have dark eyes and dark hair but I don't have a drop of indigenous ancestry in me. I'm a plain ol' northern European white girl. And my husband looked absolutely Nordic - blonde hair, blue eyes, chiseled features - and he had everything but the kitchen sink in his DNA! So go figure.

Old 11-28-2020, 09:17 PM

133 posts, read 54,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I don't have a common last name. Maybe 1,000 people in the country have it, and virtually all of them are Jewish. Yet my entire family is about as Anglo-Saxon as possible. My great-grandfather was a 6'2", blue-eyed blonde German.

Nevertheless, I used to be asked all the time if I were Jewish as a result. Heck, I once worked for a company with a couple of Jewish owners and Cy strolled into my office one September morning and asked if I were going to temple for Yom Kippur.

I was young and a little intimidated by Cy, so I replied, "Well, I can if you want me to."

"Well, you're Jewish right?"

"No, Cy, I'm Episcopalian."

"Huh. I could have sworn you were Jewish."

My nephew got married a few weeks ago. The girl's family is a little country, so we all went to the parents' place for the reception. Everybody was wonderful until s a dotty grandmother there who approached my brother and said, "Well, we've never had Jews in the family, so this a first for us."

My brother handled it with tact, but she persevered.

"You might say you're not Jewish, but you're totally Jewish. I mean look at your nose."

We didn't know whether to be appalled or think it hilarious. We decided to find it funny for the sake of keeping peace in the family.

Your story reminds me of the movie director Norman Jewison (Fiddler on the Roof). He isn't Jewish at all, but Protestant. The lead actor of the 1971 movie, Topol who played Tevya, joked that a Protestant makes a movie about Jews, and his name is Jewison. He added, we can have Jew make a movie about Christians, and his last name could be Christianson.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:13 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
I sometimes get told I look Italian.. I suppose from my Spanish father. but my mother who is Scots but from Irish parents had dark hair and brown eyes too.. so it could really be from both sides..

Old 11-29-2020, 12:53 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I sometimes get told I look Italian.. I suppose from my Spanish father. but my mother who is Scots but from Irish parents had dark hair and brown eyes too.. so it could really be from both sides..
My auburn haired wife has a sprinkling of freckles either side of her nose, and when her brother’s son married a Scots girl in Ayr, we were there.
Someone asked my wife in what way she was related to the bride, as she simply HAD to be Scots with her colouring.
She said, “I’d be proud to be Scots, but I was born a Cockney Londoner, and raised in Peckham, in South-East London, plus I’ve lived in the shadow of Tower Bridge for years.”

Old 11-29-2020, 04:23 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
I'm extremely pale, green eyes, and look very Irish and English. (I'm 1/2 English, 1/4 Irish, 1/4 Italian, and a drop....a drop only...of NDN blood.) Most people assume that's what I am, but every so often, I have people come up to me and ask me if I'm NDN. I've had NDNs come up and ask me if I'm NDN.

In our family line, we have one person - one - who was NDN. And that was great grandmother status, so I would never call myself an NDN, have never identified as one because it's a small drop of blood in an otherwise overwhelming flow of Irish/English/Italian blood.

What they are seeing, I'm not sure, but they're seeing something to guess that, because I would think most would naturally assume i'm very Irish and English. (No one ever guesses the Italian blood...lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy