Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 05:14 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Okay,

Last Name: RYAN
First Name: SENA
Middle: MAHALIA
Birth Date: 06/14/1850
Mother Maiden
Father: HARRIS
Last
Sex: F
Birth Place: NEW YORK
Death Place: SAN DIEGO
Residence
Death Date: 12/28/1949
SSN

California Death Records
Just now saw this post. I had this info. already but thought she was born in PA. Must've read it wrong. I have the California Death Records website in my favorites. I have quite a few relatives listed in it including a sister and cousin. I also have the letter my grandmother's nephew wrote to her informing her of Sena's death.

Last edited by AZDesertBrat; 09-24-2010 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
In case you didn't know, in 1930 Sena was living in Maricopa County, AZ. States her father was born in England and her mother born in Pennsylvania.
This must be from the 1930 census. She WAS here in AZ then but they were only visiting so don't know how she showed up on the census. I have pics of her and her husband taken at that time. She was visiting my grandmother...her daughter...and family. They traveled in a wagon pulled by two mules and were on their way from OK to CA. Funny that back then, it was only two years before her son died in CA, but at the time of his death my grandmother and her siblings swore up and down that she was NOT their mother, that she was the "family maid" and her name was "Maggie Good". My grandmother despised the woman and always said that she "abandoned" the family. Then another time she said that her father threw their mother out. Said he put her on a horse with a bundle of belongings, gave the horse a slap on the butt and sent her packing. Which story to believe??? With my grandmother it's hard to say because when that woman hated she REALLY hated and could be really vindictive!

The 1880 NE census states that Sena's father was born in Scotland and her mother in NY and that SHE was born in PA. Oh well. Sure would be interesting to know the "whole story" about BOTH sides of this family! She was nearly 25 years younger than my great grandfather Thomson and I've always been curious why he married someone so young, how they met, etc. etc..

Old 09-24-2010, 09:43 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
This must be from the 1930 census. She WAS here in AZ then but they were only visiting so don't know how she showed up on the census. I have pics of her and her husband taken at that time. She was visiting my grandmother...her daughter...and family. They traveled in a wagon pulled by two mules and were on their way from OK to CA. Funny that back then, it was only two years before her son died in CA, but at the time of his death my grandmother and her siblings swore up and down that she was NOT their mother, that she was the "family maid" and her name was "Maggie Good". My grandmother despised the woman and always said that she "abandoned" the family. Then another time she said that her father threw their mother out. Said he put her on a horse with a bundle of belongings, gave the horse a slap on the butt and sent her packing. Which story to believe??? With my grandmother it's hard to say because when that woman hated she REALLY hated and could be really vindictive!

The 1880 NE census states that Sena's father was born in Scotland and her mother in NY and that SHE was born in PA. Oh well. Sure would be interesting to know the "whole story" about BOTH sides of this family! She was nearly 25 years younger than my great grandfather Thomson and I've always been curious why he married someone so young, how they met, etc. etc..
With the census takers it didn't matter where you LIVED, only where you WERE at the time of the census, LOL!

I bet your great-grandfather had a previous wife if there were 25 years between them. Have you checked? Sometimes Scotland and England were interchangeable on the census since Scotland is part of the UK. Once I get moved and settled in next Friday/Saturday I'll spend some more time helping to figure this all out, LOL!

Old 09-25-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
With the census takers it didn't matter where you LIVED, only where you WERE at the time of the census, LOL!

I bet your great-grandfather had a previous wife if there were 25 years between them. Have you checked? Sometimes Scotland and England were interchangeable on the census since Scotland is part of the UK. Once I get moved and settled in next Friday/Saturday I'll spend some more time helping to figure this all out, LOL!
That's what I figured, with the census. Since I don't have access to the 1930 census I appreciate that YOU do!

No, great grandad was only married once but that side of the family has a history of the men marrying much younger women. One of his sons married one nearly 30 years younger. I DO know the story behind that one though and it's pretty sad. Actually, my dad's paternal grandad also married a woman 33 years younger but she was his third. Dad's dad had siblings old enough to be his grandparents!

Old 09-25-2010, 03:09 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
That's what I figured, with the census. Since I don't have access to the 1930 census I appreciate that YOU do!

No, great grandad was only married once but that side of the family has a history of the men marrying much younger women. One of his sons married one nearly 30 years younger. I DO know the story behind that one though and it's pretty sad. Actually, my dad's paternal grandad also married a woman 33 years younger but she was his third. Dad's dad had siblings old enough to be his grandparents!
Oh my gosh! LOL! That would be pretty weird
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy