Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 02:06 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times

Advertisements

from scotland in the very late 1800's moved to alberta because that is were ppeople were settling and could get land and then to vancouver and some family went south to san jose,CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 02:37 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Scottish/English of paternal side left Britain and arrived on the shores of Maryland in 1690's. Migrated to Kentucky, then to Western Missouri by mid 1800's. Maternal side is German & Welsh but time of migration to the US is unknown, likely 1800's.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:39 PM

53 posts, read 82,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Welcome. I have long been a bit uncomfortable using that term in reference to Irish part of my maternal family - though one of the surnames is McGee, the other two are Woods and Bates. And these latter don't seem to warrant being attributed to Scotland. They were tenants on an Abercorn manor near Strabane.

Woods and Bates are English surnames. my surname is also of English origin. the settlement of ulster was a confusing one.

the vast majority of the English settlers, settled into Fermanagh and today's republic of Cavan and Monaghan. they also settled the lurgan valley in huge numbers.

The Scots settlers, settled the counties of Coleraine (now Londonderry) county Antrim and county Down. they also settled into another republic county called Donegal

County Armagh ( my county) was settled by both Scots and English.

County Tyrone...was a major settlement during the plantation!! lots more Scots than English settlers.

Last edited by Portadown_Madman; 09-26-2010 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: c

Old 09-26-2010, 04:08 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
My Dutch sailed to NY in the 1660s, then moved enmass into New Jersey. From there they moved to Eastern PA and into Ohio. From here they spred westward into the Midwest.

The Virginians went south and after the CW they came back to TN and settled in Illinois.

My Scot (reiver) was a jack-in-th-box. He disappeared and popped back up in 1712 as a Judge. .

My English landed at Boston, migrated to Conn, NY and down through PA and Ohio and settled in Illinois.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:17 PM

[quote=linicx;16041726]

Last edited by Portadown_Madman; 09-26-2010 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: duplicate post

Old 09-26-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
My Scot (reiver) .
The best of the best.

the reiver's were a strange bunch...one day they was Scots... the next day they was English ..lol

Old 09-26-2010, 06:02 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,345,372 times
Upstate NY > OH > IN > IL
Ireland > chicago
Quebec > Chicago
Bohemia > Chicago
Sweden & Denmark > MI > Chicago

Old 09-26-2010, 09:38 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Have you noticed any patterns in the paths your ancestors took?

Most of mine - who were mostly Northern Ireland Scottish, with a lot of Welsh and some Germans - enter the United States at Philadelpiha, lived in Lancaster County PA for a while (maybe a generation or less), and then headed southwest along what is today the I-81 corridor into south central Appalachia. Most ended up in North Carolina and Virginia and then worked their way into eastern Kentucky. My English ancestors (around 20% of my family lines) arrived in colonial Virginia before 1650 and gradually moved westward.

My paternal line entered at the port of Savannah GA but immediately moved to North Carolina and again worked westward. The lived in Montgomery County NC, then moved to Rutherford County, NC, then to Lee County VA, and then to Harlan County KY

That is precisely the pattern for my paternal ancestors, at least the ones who came from Europe. Philly, Lancaster Cty, Va., Kentucky and North Carolina.

My mom's people came from the Caribbean to Louisiana to the Midwest.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:57 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,344,024 times
My mother's maternal family came from Ireland and were gunsmiths in Philadelphia at a time when American gunsmiths were not well liked by the British. The family left Philadelphia for NC in the 1760s, then to northern AL in the 1830s, then to eastern TX right after the Civil War. These families were musket makers, doctors and lawyers.

My mother's paternal family was on the Eastern Shore of Maryland by the mid-1600s, then to SC, GA and FL (?), then to deep east TX by 1861 where they became embroiled in an infamous feud that involved the Governor of Texas, Texas Rangers, gun battles and jail breaks. They were gun smiths and farmers.

My father's maternal family remains somewhat a mystery. I know they were in Georgia by 1800, AL and possibly TN in the early 1800s and in eastern TX by 1900. They were mostly farmers. Possible relationship to a signer of the Declaration of Independence but not proven.

My father's paternal family (my namesake) came to the Outer Banks of NC ca 1696, then to the Darlington District of SC. They were in northern LA by 1840 and in eastern Texas by the Civil War. They were farmers.

I have roughly 14,500 relatives compiled including four U.S. Presidents, the infamous ax murderess Lizzy Borden and her distant cousin and inventor of condensed milk Gail Borden and many other interesting characters of whom both were related and married into my direct lines. All but a handful of the lines who were my direct-line ancestors, and who made it to Texas, followed some of the same wagon trails through the deep South.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:53 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times
Most of mine were already here.

From the white side:
In 1822 migrated from Canada to the Ohio river valley
In the 1700's came from Ireland to eastern TN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy