U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:29 PM

932 posts, read 1,818,423 times

Advertisements

Do you know of any of your ancestors who had an interesting past experience? I know one of my earliest ancestors was recorded in the Domesday book in the 1200s in England. Another (possibly, unless someone happened to have the same last name) one of mine was murdered in the Salem witch trials.

What about yours?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 11:13 PM

11,543 posts, read 28,168,634 times
One was born in a bishopric and sailed to the colonies in a wooden boat. I think that the boat didn't sink is amazing. Another had a wife and family; they were forced to sail on two ships. One landed in the Ameerican colonies, the other in Europe. They were not reunited for almost three years. A VA ancestor was one of a several men who were sent to rescue Daniel Boone from Indians during the RW. Another ancestor, his father and his brothers served in the RW. One was captured and held for two years aboard a prison ship. He later served a total of 13 terms in the NJ Legislature. An English ancestor supposedly signed the Magna Carta and another allegedly hid the Regicide Judges, but I have not tried to prove it, yet. But I do have a document from the RW that was made by Paul Revere, the silversmith.

Probably the most interesting facet for me was discovering the relationships among my earliest ancestors. Some were very complicated, and some were very straight forward and easy to undersand.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:38 AM

9,787 posts, read 15,790,882 times
I think all my ancestor's lives were interesting but if you're taking about connections with famous events or people or noteworthy accomplishments: One of my ancestors served in the US Revolutionary War and was George Washington's barber. Another was the first Norwegian sailor on the Great Lakes to own his own ship. Another was the first Mennonite Bishop in the American colonies. Another was a Mennonite from the Palatinate who was part of a mass emigration from the area in 1709:

Palatine Germans to America - their History of Immigration

Quote:
The scene was set for a mass migration. At the invitation of Queen Anne in the spring of 1709, about 7 000 harassed Palatines sailed down the Rhine to Rotterdam. From there, about 3000 were dispatched to America, either directly or via England, under the auspices of William Penn. The remaining 4 000 were sent via England to Ireland to strengthen the protestant interest.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:09 AM

14,129 posts, read 29,166,108 times
I have one ancestor whom I find very interesting and would like to write a book about. He was sort of the Forest Gump of the American westward expansion:

He fought in the furthest Western conflicts of the War of 1812 and the Blackhawk War, organized the second party of traders to travel into Santa Fe, NM, brought the first of the famous Missouri mules back from NM, was part of the presidential commission that laid out the official Santa Fe trail, hunted down fugitive slaves into Mexico, surveyed the border between Missouri and Iowa, was Indian agent for the Pottawatomies, was part of one of John C. Fremont's expeditions and the James Abert expedition, accompanied the ill-fated Donner Party on the first leg of their trip to California, was present at the discovery of gold in California, and was named the first American alcalde in California.

An amazing and full life just about worthy of a movie. However, he's almost completely unknown today.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:19 PM
bjh

43,065 posts, read 26,814,337 times
One of my ancestors was pressed into service inthe British Navy in the 1700s at the age of 15. Think of Mutiny on the Bounty, based on real life. They were extremely cruel back then, beating sailors of all ages and he was just a kid.

When he got to Boston he escaped to Canada. If he had been caught, he would have been hanged for desertion. He lived to a ripe old age and had many children.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:12 PM

24,661 posts, read 36,458,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I think all my ancestor's lives were interesting but if you're taking about connections with famous events or people or noteworthy accomplishments: One of my ancestors served in the US Revolutionary War and was George Washington's barber. Another was the first Norwegian sailor on the Great Lakes to own his own ship. Another was the first Mennonite Bishop in the American colonies. Another was a Mennonite from the Palatinate who was part of a mass emigration from the area in 1709:

Palatine Germans to America - their History of Immigration

I think my German ancestors - about 5 or 6 different lines - were Palatines.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:28 PM

18,845 posts, read 34,853,294 times
All I know, is that they were in Ireland, and Mormon missionaries told them about their religion. So, they decided to go to convert to being Mormon, and took a ship to New York, and then, went across the plains to Utah. Settled in Utah in 1880's. That sounds pretty crazy to me...but it obviously made sense to them.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:32 PM

662 posts, read 1,167,468 times
I didn't know this until my daughter took a European history course in university. My parents come from Croatia. I'm a big guy, it's fairly common for us to be tall and of a big build. In Roman times the Romans would cross the Adriatic and raid my ancestor's villages for 12-14 year old males to eventually be officers in the Roman Legions. Apparently we were very imposing over the shorter Italians!

Old 10-31-2010, 08:07 PM

2,855 posts, read 6,026,907 times
Well, there was my 29th great-grandfather, Fulk Nerra of Anjou, who burned his first wife alive at the stake for acts of adultery with a goatherd...

Fulk III, Count of Anjou - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My 7th great-grandfather, Evi Bellangee, escaped from France with his mother and siblings after his father Theophilus was killed during the Dragonnades of King Louis XIV. The were Huguenots. They spent months hiding in caves and forrests until the could catch a boat over to England. Once there they arranged to sail to America.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:55 PM

25,309 posts, read 25,919,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
All I know, is that they were in Ireland, and Mormon missionaries told them about their religion. So, they decided to go to convert to being Mormon, and took a ship to New York, and then, went across the plains to Utah. Settled in Utah in 1880's. That sounds pretty crazy to me...but it obviously made sense to them.
Crazy in what way? That they'd convert to Mormonism or that they'd go all the way to New York and then all the way across the Great Plains?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy