Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:19 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Seems like now days, every one I meet who says their 'Native American' or 'American Indian'...looks...well...looks 'white'...

What's up with that?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...but I remember how the original native American people looked, from the northern tip of what is now Canada, to the South most point of South America...this whole hemisphere consisted of brown or golden skin natives...

Same with American tribes...they were not 'white'...they were 'red' or 'brown' or 'copper' in color...with jet black shiny hair...

But now days, it seems everytime someone tells me their American Indian...the look 'lilly white'...

And again, there's nothing wrong with that...(human is human)...

But as far as distinct Indian features, color and tone, where did it go?

Not to worry...there are plenty of us "brown" Indians still around. I'm one of them.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:49 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,412 times
There was a large number of Scot-Irish who settled in the Appalachians, and had direct contact with several tribes in that area, so some mixing was inevitable.

But going back to "white" people making claims or statements about having Native American ancestry: I'm sure some of them do, but I have always thought it was strange that the larger percentage of people who have made this claim mentioned it out of context in a conversation that had little to do with their ancestry. Kind of like they think the rest of us are going to oooh, and aaah, because they are 1/16th Cherokee, or whatever.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:12 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Yes, I have always wondered about that. I have known several people who state that they are part native american. I am not really sure what the appropriate comment back is supposed to be...or why the comment was even made.

I knew this one guy, he was white as me, and he would go to pow-wows, play drums, had his home decorated with a native american motif, had long hair, dressed "native american" with an earring, and an Eagle tattoo. it was like he was looking for a cultural identity...after all, what is wrong with having an Irish cultural identity?

Old 11-07-2010, 05:05 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,462 times
I agree, we have "beat this dead horse" but some reason race is still a large attraction.

To the question, this is not surprising because MANY white people are involved in interracial marriages which includes myself. There's no scientific answer. Its simple, we branch out and we multiply!

Old 11-07-2010, 09:04 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,173,623 times
I read a book about this very thing years ago. I wish that I could remember the name, but I dont. What happens is that the "native american" genes that give them the skin coloring, etc. is a recessive one. It may disappear after the first "cross" with a white. It will be completly gone after the fourth.

It's the same thing with the asian and black genes. The asian is the quickest to go and, I think, the black recessive gene hangs on for 6 or 7 generations. That said, a couple with both carrying a recessive black or asian gene could have a child with the genetic traits of an ancestor, even though the parents or white.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:55 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Family Tree DNA - DNA Kit Orders

You can have your DNA tested here, and it will match you to your lineage, and genetic heritage. Interesting to think about in terms of people who want to claim being Native American, and can prove that using DNA.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:24 PM

3,486 posts, read 6,506,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Not by me it hasn't...

I just also notice with the 'whitening' of American tribes, their hostility towards 'dark skinned' peoples, begins to reflect that of the original invadors or settlers...

Tribes that once shielded and protected escaped slaves, and had no sense of color value in them, are no longer like that...

Infact, in Oklahoma, there was a large tribe that was expelling members who had to much 'negroid' features to them, but weren't doing the same for those who had to much 'Caucasion' features...

Native Americans reflected neither caucasions, nor negroids...but today, they seem more comfortable with 'caucasion' featured members...

Obviously there's something phycological behind that...

And I suppose in another 100 years, there will be no genetic trace left at all of how the original natives of this continant looked...except in paintings...
1. It seems you are assuming that all Native Americans looked alike. They did not then, and do not now.

2. You seem to be making statements without backing them with sources or citations.

3. It also appears that, assuming you are Western European, you may be generalizing personal/ethnic biases across all peoples. If this is what you are doing, it is in error.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

Old 11-18-2010, 09:37 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
1. It seems you are assuming that all Native Americans looked alike. They did not then, and do not now.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes
You know, that is a really good point that is often not mentioned. When non-indians think of us they usually picture a Plains Indian. Now this is not a bad thing as we are quite obviously the best looking of all Indians...hehe. I JOKES!

This image has been burned into the American psyche. What many people do not realize is that plains people, desert people, Pueblo people, Eastern people, California people, Northwest people and on and on do not look the same. Even among these larger groupings, there are differences in physical traits.

For instance, I can tell a Navajo the minute I see one. I've had people from other areas who can tell I am Plains and because of my stature know that I am Southern Plains. Much like Asians who tell each other apart (Chinese from Japanese from Korean, etc), we can generally do the same thing given higher blood quantums. We may not know the specific tribe, but we can at least get to the general area. Comanches and Navajos do not look alike, yet many Americans cannot see the difference OR they think that because a certain group of NDNs do not look like the Lakotas they are so used to seeing in pictures, movies or TV, they must not be NDNS.

Of course, when mixing comes in, that adds a whole other level of complexity. Good post Nighteyes.

Last edited by Fullback32; 11-18-2010 at 09:46 AM..

Old 11-18-2010, 10:00 AM

3,486 posts, read 6,506,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
You know, that is a really good point that is often not mentioned. When non-indians think of us they usually picture a Plains Indian. Now this is not a bad thing as we are quite obviously the best looking of all Indians...hehe. I JOKES!
Nope, you're just sadly misinformed. Everyone knows that the Choctaw and Chickasaw are by far the best-looking...

Old 11-18-2010, 11:38 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,322,994 times
Studies and graphs and charts are only for those who have never lived, been, and or seen....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.