Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 04:49 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,324,095 times

Advertisements

Seems like now days, every one I meet who says their 'Native American' or 'American Indian'...looks...well...looks 'white'...

What's up with that?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...but I remember how the original native American people looked, from the northern tip of what is now Canada, to the South most point of South America...this whole hemisphere consisted of brown or golden skin natives...

Same with American tribes...they were not 'white'...they were 'red' or 'brown' or 'copper' in color...with jet black shiny hair...

But now days, it seems everytime someone tells me their American Indian...the look 'lilly white'...

And again, there's nothing wrong with that...(human is human)...

But as far as distinct Indian features, color and tone, where did it go?

Last edited by linicx; 04-16-2011 at 01:19 AM..

Old 10-28-2010, 05:22 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,524,353 times
The answer is simple: intermarriage with whites, especially among the 5 Civilized Tribes. That's why you see so many Choctaw's and Chickasaw's and Cherokee's with family names like McDonald, McIntyre, McCurtain etc.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:15 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,244,985 times
Oh geez, hasn't this topic been beaten to death already?

Old 10-28-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Oh geez, hasn't this topic been beaten to death already?
Not by me it hasn't...

I just also notice with the 'whitening' of American tribes, their hostility towards 'dark skinned' peoples, begins to reflect that of the original invadors or settlers...

Tribes that once shielded and protected escaped slaves, and had no sense of color value in them, are no longer like that...

Infact, in Oklahoma, there was a large tribe that was expelling members who had to much 'negroid' features to them, but weren't doing the same for those who had to much 'Caucasion' features...

Native Americans reflected neither caucasions, nor negroids...but today, they seem more comfortable with 'caucasion' featured members...

Obviously there's something phycological behind that...

And I suppose in another 100 years, there will be no genetic trace left at all of how the original natives of this continant looked...except in paintings...

Old 10-29-2010, 01:29 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Seems like now days, every one I meet who says their 'Native American' or 'American Indian'...looks...well...looks 'white'...

What's up with that?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...but I remember how the original native American people looked, from the northern tip of what is now Canada, to the South most point of South America...this whole hemisphere consisted of brown or golden skin natives...

Same with American tribes...they were not 'white'...they were 'red' or 'brown' or 'copper' in color...with jet black shiny hair...

But now days, it seems everytime someone tells me their American Indian...the look 'lilly white'...

And again, there's nothing wrong with that...(human is human)...

But as far as distinct Indian features, color and tone, where did it go?

Well I noticed a few years back when the government started giving native Americans free money to go to college a lot of white skinned people all of the sudden claimed they were part native American.

busta

Old 10-29-2010, 01:43 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
That should be "wanna-be" Native Americans. I have not met any Native Americans, Authentic ones, that is...that look white.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:07 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,291,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
That should be "wanna-be" Native Americans. I have not met any Native Americans, Authentic ones, that is...that look white.
Me neither. Not in Canada, not in S. Dakota. Not in Florida. Not in Arizona.... Or parts in-between.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:50 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,376,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Well I noticed a few years back when the government started giving native Americans free money to go to college a lot of white skinned people all of the sudden claimed they were part native American.

busta
In order to get any financial services, you must prove an ancestor was on the Indian rolls from the 1800s. This is a very hard thing to prove. Alot of people have claims, but very few are ever granted. Unless you can prove direct lineage from someone on the rolls, you don't get anything.

My husbands family has Creek and Crow Indians in their background. I did some research and it was easy to track down their tribes. When they married into my husbands family, they never went to the reservations to register. It was shameful and they didn't want to do that. The old photos of great granny are amazing, there is no way she is white!

Old 10-29-2010, 10:41 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
In order to get any financial services, you must prove an ancestor was on the Indian rolls from the 1800s. This is a very hard thing to prove. Alot of people have claims, but very few are ever granted. Unless you can prove direct lineage from someone on the rolls, you don't get anything.

My husbands family has Creek and Crow Indians in their background. I did some research and it was easy to track down their tribes. When they married into my husbands family, they never went to the reservations to register. It was shameful and they didn't want to do that. The old photos of great granny are amazing, there is no way she is white!
And that's not hard to do if you have time. My family is Houma and so am I and that is why she was able to get financing.

But if you looked at me you would think I'm a fat white cracker. lol

busta

Old 10-30-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
And that's not hard to do if you have time. My family is Houma and so am I and that is why she was able to get financing.

But if you looked at me you would think I'm a fat white cracker. lol

busta
In fairness...I cannot allow you to degrade yourself like that...

You are a wonderful human being...period...regardless of your apparent physical heritage...

I grew up around a few 'light skinned' indians, and they were fun as hll to hang around...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy